Breast reduction after radiotherapy

Hi All,
It’s been a long while since I’ve posted on here, since my journey began back in December 2012.
I have been clear of chemo and radiotherapy for a few months now, I just take tamoxifen once daily.
What I’m really looking for is some advice, and I couldn’t see where else to post this, so I hope it’s ok to have it here. (moderators please feel free to move my post and point me in the right direction :))
I was warned before I had my radiotherapy that it could shrink the size of my surgery breast, and it certainly has done that, and I was also advised that you could have a breast reduction if this was an issue…
To anybody going through this, are there any guidelines/restritions on this…does one boob have to be 2-3 sizes bigger, or just that it’s becoming a daily nuisance because of ill fitting bra’s and clothes?
I’m not sure whether to bring this up with my oncologist on Tuesday next week, or what to do really. All I know is it’s driving me mad having to constantly re-adjust my bra, boobs and clothes every time I freaking move!!
Any advice or experiences welcome!
Lorna
xx

Hello lorjema

Welcome back to the forums.

Whilst waiting for replies maybe you would like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 600 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

best wishes

June, moderator

Thanks June,
I may give them a call over lunch.
Emotionally i’m good aside from the annoyance of odd boobs, lol!
Cheers
Lorna x

Lorna I had a bilateral Mastopexy in Jan this year. After an extensive WLE and a 2nd WLE to achieve better margins preceded by chemo and followed by rads in 2010 I was left quite assymetrical.I also had a long dented scar which I felt could be seen through clothing.
I finally spoke to my BCN early last year and got a referral to a PS who does consultations at the breast clinic I attend.I saw him in June 2012 and he didn’t suggest that there was a specific criteria ie how many cup sizes different you were.He came up with some ideas and sent me away to consider what he had said. I returned a month later with some questions and a decision that I wanted to go ahead. Basically he reshaped my affected side and lifted and reduced the ‘good’ side.I am delighted with the results.
Do PM me if you would like to.
J

I had rads on both sides after double WLE, and was left very lopsided - Droopy and Perky!!! It took 12 months of making big fuss to get Droopy reduced and lifted, and I kept going because I knew, from NICE guidelines, that corrective surgery is our entitlement. Size, droop,whatever, affects us significantly, we need to take off our clothes and feel normal… so keep going and keep asking until you get a PS who can sort things out for you. You are not being silly or a wimp, you NEED to feel good about your body and it can be done.
All the very best, and a big hug
Grumpy

Thanks for your replies ladies,
It really helped to read your views and experiences on the subject, and I will definitely speak to my oncologist on Tuesday about getting a referral to the breast surgeon.
I totally agree about feeling good about yourself Grumpy, after what we’ve all been through it’s our right, and even though I am grateful to be alive, and to have both my boobs (albeit lopsided)! I still don’t want to feel self concious in what i’m wearing because I constantly checking that Biggy isn’t spilling over everywhere…gahhhhhh!!!
You have given me hope :slight_smile:
Thank you very very much x

Lorjema Good Luck on Tues. Yes Grumpy is so right. Fortunately at my breast clinic there are visiting PS ( I didn’t know about this) until I spoke to my BCN. I hope your Onc is able to expedite a referral for you. J x