breast reduction with reconstruction

Hi has anyone opted to do reconstruction with a breast reduction on the original size of your breasts? I’m thinking of it but somebody mentioned to me that you can’t breast feed after a breast reduction. Any advice on this would be welcomed.

Hi jeodo

You may find our ‘Breast reconstruction’ booklet helpful to read as it does contain some information about breast feeding after having a breast reduction. You can read it via the following link:

breastcancercare.org.uk/docs/breast_reconstruction_dec06_web_0.pdf

If you would like to talk it through with one of our helpliners in confidence you can call our helpline on 0808 800 6000 which is open Mon-Fri 9am-5pm and Sat 9am-2pm.

Best wishes

Lucy
Breast Cancer Care

Hi Jeodo

I had tramflap reconstruction on my right breast and simultaneous reduction on the left in june 2005. It was a very long operation - over 12 hours. For the first few days after the op I felt as though I had been knocked down by a bus - but I recovered very quickly and have never looked back. I went home after about a week and was fully recovered from the surgery in about 2 months. I am really pleased with the results and have never felt like I had a mastectomy.

I’m sorry I can’t help you re breast feeding - my breastfeeding days were over in 1992!

Good luck

K

I had reduction and reconstruction using the unaffected breast tissue (I was a 34 JJ pre- surgery and now a 34 D- much better).

You won’t be able to breast feed because they need to move the nipple and milk ducts etc.

Good luck,

Kat x