Breast still swollen 16 months after finishing radiotherapy

Hi all

Well I said I’d let you know how I got on at my check up on Wednesday last.

To be honest I felt that the member of the surgical team I saw really didn’t have time for me. She examined my breast and because it was so painful when she pressed on it she sent me for an ultra sound scan which, thank goodness, was normal.

She said that the pain is due partly to the surgery and partly to the radiotherapy.

I asked for some stronger painkillers and she just said I shouldn’t be having pain severe enough for strong painkillers now and that was it.

To be honest I feel very disappointed and at the moment I’m considering whether to bother going for future check ups or not.

Love and {{{hugs}}} to you all

Jan xxx

I don’t go to checkups and haven’t since my last treatment. Can’t see any point hanging around. However one doctor did suggest massaging the affected breast which I did for six months with aqueous cream. I don’t think it made any difference but it was quite pleasant. It did go down of its own accord over time.

I loathe doctors they are not remotely interested in emotional aspects of one’s personality, just in disease. It should be called the national sickness service

Mole

Hi Mole

I can see your point. I always get wound up about going for checkups which is why I’m considering not bothering any more.

How long did your breast take to go down? I’ve tried massaging with cream, wearing a supportive bra 24 hours a day, doing the exercises I was given after my op. For the last year I’ve been swimming 3k a week. Nothing works. The doc at my check up last week told me I really must exercise my arm. She ate her words when I told her about my swimming.

I agree about docs not being interested about the emotional side of the illness. It all seems to be mechanics with them.

Jan x x