Breast surgical clips

My last PET-CT showed FDG activity associated with my WLE breast surgical clips . Report says non-specific but I have been referred for ultrasound to check it out. I can also feel lump at boarder of tissue removal margin, WLE was done in 2018. Feeling anxious about this and what outcomes might be? Any advice?

Hi SMBW18

Thanks for your post.

It’s understandable you are anxious about the possible change in your breast following your recent PET-CT.

Changes to the breast tissue following a wide local excision are not unusual. They can be caused by scar tissue which is produced naturally by the body during healing, hormonal changes as part of your monthly cycle (if you are still having periods) or due to benign conditions (not cancer). However, as you’ve had a previous diagnosis of breast cancer, your team will want to ensure they check out any changes in detail.

Nearly everyone who has been treated for cancer worries about it coming back (recurrence). This can be especially so if they find a new symptom or a change on a mammogram or scan that needs to be followed up, so you’re not alone in being anxious about the possible outcome.

At times like this it can help to talk to someone about how you are feeling and ask questions. Please call our helpline if you would like to do this. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary.

Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Catherine

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.