Bruising post slnb

Hi , i had wle & slnb last friday . Although no pain as such , the slnb site is quite tender ( no redness or swelling or signs of infection ) but its uncomfortable with my upper arm touching the area ? Any tips

I think many of us who have had this procedure have experienced more pain and discomfort.fort in the SNLB area than in the breast itself . I found I got discomfort in my armpit and upper arm when sitting - doing the post - op exercises while sitting seemed to help . Have you been given a little heart shaped cushion ? I didn’t get one so can’t explain how it goes but if you don’t have one you could try asking your BCN about it as everyone on here who has had one seem to highly recommend them and I think they are supposed to help with the problem you are having .

Xx

I wasn’t given one of those cushions either, but I found a small soft squishy cushion at home which stayed wedged in my armpit almost permanently for a few weeks. I totally remember the pain. Numb, scrubbed, burning, with a couple of days like there’s a square edged box pressed in the armpit.
X

I used a small squishy cushion under the arm for many weeks, day & night to relieve the area.

Xx

Had a heart shaped cushion after mastectomy. A life-saver! You can buy them online £10.95 - Etsy. I will use it again after axillary clearance which is soon. x

Hello chezza1

Thanks for posting. As @JoanneN says, many women experience a tenderness and discomfort in the area where they had a sentinel node lymph biopsy.

It’s normal to have some pain or discomfort in the weeks after surgery, and it may take several months for the affected area to feel normal again. In some cases, the affected area will always feel a little different.

Using a small cushion as suggested by @isitreallyme, @chillout365 and @countrygirl1 can sometimes help relieve the pressure and give some comfort. You may also want to try some simple pain medication. If the discomfort continues after a few weeks, we would suggest you talk to your breast care nurse or treatment team.

As well as our support through forums, you may want to know about out other free supportive services They include face to face and online courses and events.

For more details about all of these services, please see the information on the link, or call our free helpline

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Angela

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.