Calcification/DCIS/Mastectomy/Reconstruction

Hi everyone I have just been diagnosed with breast cancer and I feel in shock and feel like I have to learn a new language. I have to say its been a help reading the posts today. I have no idea what stage/level the cancer is at its the dcis one told I have to have a mastectomy I would have thought take out the lump and blast my breat with radiotherapy…but I don’t know…it alls seem so drastic. Cosnultant talking about a back flap re-con which will take about 6 hours. The option of an implant was discounted right away because they said my ‘good’ breast would over time sag??? why cant they put an implant in both??? A simpler op less chance of complications??? Oh i don’t know? So many variables…

testing I just wrote a very long from the heart post and it didn’t go on…

Hi Eileen and welcome to the BCC forums

I am sorry that you have found yourself here, I am sure your fellow users will be along soon with support and shared experiences and our helpline is open weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2 on 0808 800 6000 so please feel free to call for further support and information

I am posting a link to the BCC ‘DCIS’ information which I hope you will find helpful:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/about-breast-cancer/primary-breast-cancer/types-primary-breast-cancer/ductal-carcinoma-situ-dcis

BCC offer other types of support too including 'One to one peer support via email/telephone which you can read more about here:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-services/someone-talk

Take care

Lucy

Hi Eileen, I’m sorry you have received your terrible news. You’re where I was about two months ago…and I know that it’s not a nice place. I am going for my mastectomy on Wednesday this week and they are going to do an immediate strattice reconstruction. It seems different consultants favour different reconstructions, so I’m sorry I give you any advice/guidance on your reconstruction, but I do know what you mean - it being drastic, I’ve felt exactly the same. The consultant told me that I could have a WLE (lumpectomy), but I would still have a 22% chance that I would need a mastectomy, these weren’t odds I wanted to play around with, so I went straight to mastectomy. You will get through this, we are ‘lucky’ as DCIS is more treatable than some cancers. Please stay positive, I know that’s easy to say, but believe me, it really helps your mental strength. If you want to PM me, please feel free. Love Sue x

Oh bless you. I too have just gone through this a second time and am in the dificult position of deciding on a lumpectomy and radiotherapy OR Mastectomy. Shocking and petrifying. I am erring on the side of mastectomy but Oh its scary. I had a moment this morning when a friend I hadnt spoken too rang me completely out of the blue just as I was to ring the clinic in turmoil to make my decsision. She has just gone through a double mastectomy and is ten days post op. I have now decided on speaking to her to go ahaed with the mastectomy. She is amazing and if she can go through it then I can and must. It is such a hard position to be in. I dont know if im right, but a little more at peace having made the decision after many sleepless nights and hours on web sites and forums. Good luck. You dont need it though you will be fine. Thinking of you. Get plenty of hugs and rest. xx

just read a comment about being ‘too thin’ for a flap. I dont think this is correct. I was too thin for all the reconstructions taking ‘flaps’ from other parts of the body (eg: thigh, tummy), but the advice to me was that the LD flap doesn’t need any fat, it is about using the muscle from your back and is a good option for everyone or anyone who doesn’t like the idea of a strattice reconstruction. Once you’ve got the muscle there, it can be filled with an implant if you dont have the fat.
Annie