Can someone please help me? Young and scared!

Hi, I’m 20 years old and since the age of 17 I have had nipple discharge in one breast only, and from only one duct. It’s yellow, sometimes clear and sticky. I recently had tests done at my local breast clinic, I had an ultrasound which was clear, then they took samples of the discharge. I went back two weeks ago for my results, they told me that they had found skin cells in the discharge, and that it could be a breast polyp. They said the results were very rare and unusual for someone my age. I had two options, an operation to remove part of my breast duct or go to the Royal Marsden hospital to have a tiny telescope inserted into my nipple to have a look. I chose the second option because I want to be sure before I have an operation. I am unsure as to what a breast polyp actually is and what are skin cells doing in nipple discharge? It’s very confusing for me they didn’t explain properly. They said that if I didn’t get the duct removed I could be at risk of developing cancer in years to come. Please someone help? Thankyou xx

Hi Ayesha

As you haven’t had any responses as yet, I thought it might be helpful for you to call our Helpline. They can offer support and information and direct you to other support if necessary.

They’re on 0808 800 6000 and are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 on Saturday.

Hope this is useful.

Kind regards

Louise, Facilitator

Hi Ayesha, I am sorry I don’t have any answers to your query, but I would like to say hello and send you a hug, hope you get some answers soon. In the meantime call the helpline they are at the other end of the phone and can listen and hopefully put you at ease, take care love junieliz x

Hi Ayesha, I think you’re in safe hands at the Marsden. They really know what they’re doing. Try not to stress too much, but from my experience with this cruel disease, prevention is better then cure.
Xx

If there’s a breast care nurse where you went, I’m sure she’ll be able to give you information. The Marsden will have one/some… It’s new to me, but there must BE information for you…

Jane xx