Chemo & Constipation (not a nice topic I know!)

Crawfi and darlo, I have just fallen off the sofa laughing. (I’m sorry, am I allowed to laugh at your posts while sympathising massively with your symptoms?)

Such traumas - no one ever tells you about this do they…

Just had a thought about trying to ward off constipation - as well as eating all the good fibre things I also find sliced peaches in juice really help and I always avoid eating eggs as they just bind me up immediately. Not sure what else to avoid - maybe others have ideas

Coffee Enemas. Amazing.

They clear out your pipes and then you will even more regular than before. They help with period cramps too.

Hi,

they dont tell you about all the others things that happens whilst having chemo. Coffe enemas - sound interesting - do you drink them (only joking!) I love coffee - have a nero card, costa card etc

Will try sliced peaches - thanks

Jo x

Hi Jo

Don’t think they let you do the enemas in the coffee shops. Probably best done at home.

Can you buy these things over the counter somewhere or do you need a perscription?

Jo x

Joking aside, they really are wonderful. The sceptics would say you body would become used to the enemas and not work on its own, but the exact opposite is true. Clean out your pipes and then they work better than ever AND you are not pouring a load of chemicals or super sugary concoctions through your entire digestive system.

I was given mine, but they are between £10-20 online.

The first one is a little uncomfortable,especially if you have been bunged up for a while, but really does work. It really is quite incredible how much c&%p is up there!!

I won’t go on as I will probably be moderated or have the sceptics screaming…pm me for more info.

Hi Jo

I have awful constipation too but not through chemo. I use Ortisan Fruit Cubes from the herbalist. They aren’t the cheapest thing but they are the only thing that works for me.

I do sympathise with you. Constipation is horrible.

Jan x

I had the worst ever constipation when I was on Zomorph, so much so, that I stopped the Zomorph and just put up with the pain. Tried everything under the sun. One night I even took 6 Movicols in one go, and all I got was the most awful bellyache.
Anyway, through trial and error I found Bisocodyl was the answer to my prayers. Two of these at night did the job. You can buy it at any chemist.
Once you are sorted, but just need to keep things ticking along, Exlax chocolate works well I find.

Hi,

I’ve not got Movicol from the hospital yesterday after my 3rd chemo as I dont want to ever have to go through that again, but I had started eating licqourice every day and that seems to help.

Jo x

Gretchen:
"Don’t think they let you do the enemas in the coffee shops. Probably best done at home. "

I now have a bruises from falling on the floor laughing - imagine what they’d do in Costa if you tried to do THAT with your Skinny Caramel Latte!!! No, stop, my sides are hurting!

1 Like

Hi Chocciemuffin,

believe me if I had the pain I had last time I’d stand in the middle of costa doing it, I wouldnt give a sh**!

Jo x

1 Like

But wasn’t that exactly the cause of the problem, Jo?

(I think we’d better stop or we’ll get told off!) ;-D

Thanks for the humour CM and D - laughter is so good!
Yes, I think prevention before treatment starts helps - I drink loads of smoothies - sometimes the Innocent type or if I’m energetic I juice my own - think these help prevent the dreaded…

Because my guts had turned to concrete on codeine, I asked for something to help before my first chemo and the onc gave me movicol to take the night before FEC1. I duly did so, but it had unexpected (and very unwanted!) effects as I was extremely sick with FEC1, from every orrifice (no more detail required) and I really regretted having taken the movicol… eugh, it wasn’t pretty.

Since then I haven’t bothered as I haven’t been affected by the concrete guts. Ondansetron has it listed as a common side-effect but I was lucky.

Hi CM,

I had my third chemo on wednesday and didn’t bother taking anything for the constipation but I can feel things going pear shaped in my tummy so I was going to try and laxido (the hospital gave me them not sure if they are the same thing as Movicol) but I think I’ll also suck on a stick of licqourice tonight or get the bottle of wine out again (that always works!)

Jo x

Hello. After being blocked up for 5 days following my first FEC, for the next FECs I took lactulose and senna before going. I used to take 2 teaspoons of senna liquid and 4 teaspoons of lactulose. Important to take it before you go to hospital as you won’t feel like it afterwards.

It worked very well and I would recommend it.
Best wishes
Anthi x

Tried lactulose, movicol, senna! It would have taken a rocket to move me! The oncologist said it was the anti- sickness tablets causing it. I was in agony! I didn’t want champagne post chemo just a nice pain free number two!!

Hello, I’m new here and so glad I found this topic as I have been suffering with severe constipation for 3 days and a sore bum for nearly a week. I’m on my 4th FEC treatment and have escaped major problems so far but this is agony. Nothing seems to be moving - have tried Diocytl tabs, prune juice, brain flakes, water etc. Hubbie out now getting me some senakot (sp?) tabs to take in the hope that it will make things start to move. I’m dreading it though as I know it will be like trying to pass glass. Have been passing wind alot and sometimes that even hurts and it’s so foul smelling! At my wits end!!
xxx

Ondansetron has constipation as a common side-effect, so mention it to your onc and see if they can suggest some alternative anti-emetics that don’t bung you up so much.