Chemo in the USA

Did you know that 86% of Oncologists in the USA, when asked privately and anonymously, stated that they would not give their own family chemo - but had to in practice as it was the ‘best medical practice’ ! Makes you wonder doesn’t it, when they wouldn’t let their nearest and dearest have it at all! Certainly gives one confidence :frowning:

Mackie please don’t be sucked in by this stuff. There are some people around who, for some reason, regard chemo as a useless con fuelled by the greed of large pharamceutical companies.
It is such nonsense.
I have seen friends of mine with very large tumours that have been totally obliterated by chemotherapy.
One of the reasons that cancer survival rates around the world are improving is because of all of the chemotherapies - particularly the taxanes.

hi

my onc said (and i read) that rads is more effective than chemo, however this only does a specific area,whereas chemo does the lot. i had/have 4 lumps which had twistwed my breast terribly (lobular - made itself known after a fall) and now, 3 weeks today have officially finished chemo, it looks normal, 3 lumps cant be felt at all, 1 barely. This was no mean feat as largest was 5cm.

Chemo is a blunt and clumsy treatment and no doubt future generations will think its horrific but i think for now its the best we’ve got to attack any possible stray cells. i, for one, appreciate this incredibly clumsy, rough friend.

I agree with msmolly. There are people out there who think chemotherapy was invented to make more money for the pharmaceutical companies and will make up or manipulate stats to back up their claims. Don’t believe everything you read.
Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
We don’t know in what context the question was asked, which resulted in the 86% stat. For example, it could have been “would you administer chemotherapy to a member of your family?”. It could be 86% don’t like sticking needles in family members, and 14% do. So the conclusion we should be coming to is that 14% of oncologists in the US have sadistic tendencies towards members of their family. LOL.

My best friend is a cnslt oncologist and told me to expect chemo from the second shd knew my dx, and she said if i refused she would drag me there kicking and screaming if necessary, so i think she either believes in chemo or else is a sadistic pretend friend! In thr future they will no doubt be able to isolate which , in my case, 5% of women would benefit ftom chemo but for now i’d prefer to overtreat than under-treat.

Im so glad i had my chemo, might have been dead without it.

Interesting topic!

I would love to think in the future there would be some alternative and that no patient would have to suffer through chemo. Now that more and more people are having their chemo BEFORE surgery, maybe that might have some affect on the statistics?

I had chemo 14 years ago, I am still alive, got married and had 2 children since…might I have without…? who knows, but I am here and so are thay.

Having chemo again, 2nd dx other side this time strayed into nodes having it again…do I want it…NO… am I glad to have it OH YES!!!.. I want to see my babies ( 9&7) grow up. we could be living in a third world country where people die because of a lack of basics like clean water. Thank you chemo, do your stuff and let me see my kids grow up. xxxxxxx

AND in ten years genocoms will be ready for use and things like cancer and cystic fybrosis may be a thing of the past.

Progress and future

Many oncologists believe that targeted therapies are the chemotherapy of the future. As solid tumor cancer continues to be viewed as a chronic condition, methods for long-term treatment, with less side-effects, continue to be investigated.
In the U.S., the National Cancer Institute’s Molecular Targets Development Program (MTDP) to identify and evaluate molecular targets that may be candidates for drug development.
The next stage of targeted therapies will focus on finding which patients will respond to which targeted therapies. This is called the identification of “sub-populations”, stratified medicine or even personalized medicine. The route to identify these sub-populations is through biomarkers and surrogate endpoints.

Yeah bring on the drugs, without them I would not be here right now.

Alex