Chemo plan AC followed by Taxol. Can you help?

Hi Ladies,

I am in a bit of a horrid place today having had my first appontment with my onc.

I am 30, have a 28mm lump and at least one node involved.

This morning I have been given a chemo plan which is as follows;

1. AC (Adriamycin and Cyclophosphamide, sometimes Adriamycin can be called Doxorubicin) every 2 weeks x 4 times

2. Taxol every 2 weeks x 4 times

I am petrified bacause I am down for eight sesions in total and also because the sessions are only two weeks apart. I am wondering how much this is down to my age but also what other reasons for eight sessions but so far apart. Everyone else seems to have six…

Please please can you let me know if you have any ideas about this or any similar experiences? I am pretty low today and would appreciate any responses.

Thank you. Joanna. X

Hi Joanna,

Sorry to hear that you’re so down. Do give the helpline here a ring and have a chat with one of the nurses, they’re here to support you through this. Lines are open now until 5pm then Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 9-2, calls are free, 0808 800 6000.

Take care,
Jo, Facilitator

Hey lovely…me again! I had this dose dense regime - and had no problems at all.

They give you steroids to combat the side effects, and my main side effects were from the steroids. Nothing horrific! Just found it difficult to sleep on the days I was taking the steroids and I was HUNGRY! I then felt a bit down on the day I stopped taking the steroids as they left my body. The only side effects I had from the AC was a slight queasiness like a slight hangover. Not enough to stop me from eating! And I felt quite tired for a few days after, but just napped when I needed to. Taxol caused me no problems at all. No sickness, no tiredness, nothing. I kept asking the onc whether he was giving me enough as I was so concerned that I wasn’t feeling bad! I have met other girls on the same regime - most of whom also tolerated it really well. A few had aches and pains in their joints on Taxol.

When I was first diagnosed I posted a similar thread and got a few PMs from girls who had the same regime. I’ll find them and share them with you.

x

Hi Joanna,

I also had the same chemo regime as you. I was diagnosed in November 2010. My tumour was 4.5cm with no nodes involved and my onc decided that because in her words I was “young, fit and healthy” (apart from the cancer obviously) she was going to throw the strongest chemo at me every 2 weeks instead of 3. Her aim was to try and shrink the tumour quickly and so avoid a mastectomy which she did.

I had a WLE and then 20 sessions of rads and am now down to my last 2 Herceptins.

I didn’t find the regime too bad once I started. Main problems I had with the AC were upset stomach and the Taxol was joint pain and my fingers and toes going numb for a time.

But it all wears off and I am now back at work full time and only tend to be tired by the end of the week.

I also found that having the chemo every 2 weeks meant that overall it was only 4 months instead of 6 which made a huge difference mentally!.

Thanks so much both of you. I feel better about this now. So good to hear about people doing so well today. =) to you both. X