Chemo

Hi all
Had my appointment today with oncologist, all systems go for me in 2-3 weeks chemo will start, just awaiting my appointment. To say I’m not looking forward to it is the understatement of the century. The silly thing is that my biggest fear is loosing my hair. I’ve made an appointment to see about getting a wig which totally freaks me out but I know I need to. Is there anyone on here who has any tips for coping with any of the side effects from chemo. All tips will be gratefully received. Thanks in advance ladies x

Hi there, just thought i would say hi rather than passing by. I have surgery this coming Tuesday, lumpectomy, the radiotherapy and 90% sure chemo. I cant give you any tips as i havent been through it and everyone reacts differently but from what i have picked up is plenty of water and healthy foods to keep you as strong as possible, I think ive had kurly kale with every meal since being diagnosed!!!

Wishing you all the best x

Hi Lisac1,

So sorry that you’ve had to join the chemo roller coaster. I went through chemo last year and found it to be not as bad as I expected. I tried to drink at least 500mls of water while the chemo was being administered and also drank loads of water two to three days post chemo. I generally ate whatever I felt like because I very much felt like I was suffering from morning sickness, so did have some strange concoctions (spinach soup accompanied with marshmallows being one . . . .yuck!! The very thought now). Another thing that worked for me was exercise. I tried to walk a minimum of 3 miles a day, whether I initially felt like it or not. When I first went out, I would feel a bit woozy, but once I got going, I felt loads better.

The above might not work for everyone, but I’m convinced they helped me cope with my chemo.

I wish you all the best and may all you side effects be little ones. Take care. Ann x x

Hi lisac1

As well as the support you are receiving on the forums you might find it helpful to order the BCC resources pack. It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like to order a copy just follow the link bellow:-

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early-breast-cancer-bcc145

Also, do give the helpline a ring if you need any further support or information. They’re on 0808 800 6000. Open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday. Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Hi, thanks so much for the tip for drinking plenty of water, I’ll definitely give it a go. Want to lead as much of a normal life as possible threw the chemo. I just want it started now, sooner its started sooner its all over xx

Hi lisac1
I start my chemo this coming Wednesday will let you know, but will def be using the water tip!
Curly kale sounds good, when I first got diagnosised their was something the media about broccoli helping women with bc, so I had that with every meal!
I’ve had my details for wig - only got sorted yesterday and no one can fit me in for another two-three weeks! Not happy as if I lose my hair I won’t be setting foot outdoors! - one of the lovely ladies on this site told me about this web page cancerhaircare.co.uk you can get a pdf on tips for keeping hair with the paxman cold cap - I couldn’t download it as the link wasn’t working but emailed and got the file within 24hrs or if you want I could email you what they sent me x

Hi sazza38

I know exactly how you feel about the hair loss, I to am very anxious about this. That would be great if you could pass on the details. I’m planning on giving the cold cap a go also bought hair vitamins ( don’t think they will help much but anything is worth a try). Keep in touch and let me know how you get on. I’m so glad we have this forum if it wasn’t for this I don’t know how I would have come to terms with my breast cancer. Couldn’t even say the c word before xx

Hiya. Had first dose of FECT on wed, and basically following advice nurses gave me. Drinking 2 litres of water a day, have the anti sick meds religiously and just eat little and often. I slept awfully on run up to it, and am tired now, so listen to your body, if you can do some exercise deffo do it, but nap when you want too! Take care xx

Yeah I feel exactly the same, think I’ll have another meltdown about the hair loss next week when being fitted for a wig. I’ve sent you a pm with my email address much appreciated xx

Where do I find the June page? I’ll defo be needing that. I’m hoping I can get a wig tgat looks almost identical to my own hair, fingers crossed. I’ll be exactly the same when I know my start date lol. Crossing each session off as I go xx

Thanks, think I found it. I’ve added June chemo thread reckon I’m gonna need it. Aww that’s good about your wig, be sure to let me know how you get on xx