choosing an accupuncturist

hi,

there have been a few posts mentioning using accupuncture to help with pain and side effects. I have had a few pm’s asking how to find one.

I had a long chat with my accupuncturist about it and discovered that at the moment anyone can call themselves an accupuncturist with no qualifications. There are correspondance courses and weekend courses that people can attend to get a practicioners certificate, which are not worth much more than the paper they are written on.

There are however two reputable bodies that make stringent checks before you can become a member.

One is the british accupuncture council. To be a member of this register you have to have studied for three years full time at an accredited instutution, and to undergo monitoring on professsional standard and safe practice. This association is working with the gorvernment to set up a licencing system to protect the public.

to find one of their practicioners near you visit acupuncture.org.uk or email <script type=“text/javascript”>eval(unescape(‘%64%6f%63%75%6d%65%6e%74%2e%77%72%69%74%65%28%27%3c%61%20%68%72%65%66%3d%22%6d%61%69%6c%74%6f%3a%69%6e%66%6f%40%61%63%75%70%75%6e%63%74%75%72%65%2e%6f%72%67%2e%75%6b%22%3e%69%6e%66%6f%40%61%63%75%70%75%6e%63%74%75%72%65%2e%6f%72%67%2e%75%6b%3c%2f%61%3e%27%29%3b’))</script>

or there is British Medical accupuncture society. This is for medically qualified people such as GP’s or phsysiotherapists who have attended a short add on course. I do not know how to find a list of these, but googling might help.

So if you are considering using an accupuncturist do find out if they are a memeber of either of these two bodies. It may by that there are some alternative therapists that are naturally gifted and can administer accupuncture succesfully who have not found it necessary to join, but unless they came with lots of personal recommendations from people you know it may be safer to stick to those on the register.

I had accupunture about 5 years ago he was recommended by a friend he was registered with the British Medical accupuncture society, that is true that you do get some practising who are not properly trained always ask to see their paperwork.

I found this therapy very good

Hi,I don’t know about other hospitals but the Royal Marsden Sutton/Surrey have what they call integrated care and have a whole range of complementary therapies that your medical team can refer you to.

royalmarsden.nhs.uk/diagnosis-treatment/patient-care/integrated-care

Best wishes Melxx

What a wonderful range of supportive treatments at the RM - wish my hospital had this; we are now waiting for a Maggies Centre to be finished so that we can access some treatments from this marvelous charity! Wonder how many other hospitals have so much integrative medicine provision for BC?

None in Shropshire!
DX