Chronic Cough

Chronic Cough

Chronic Cough by Joy13 I have started a new thread with this post by new user Joy13

Kind regards
Forum Host
Breast Cancer Care

History: My Mum had a mastectomy on left breast Nov 1981 and then had radiotherapy. She was clear of cancer for 23 years. In Nov 2004 she had a flu jab (lot no 1120A Belgrivac 0004/5W/GT) and within a week was referred to hospital with fluid on the left lung. In Nov 2004 she was omitted to Derriford Hospital and was told the breast cancer had re-appeared after 23 years of being clear. She was diagnosed with cells under her mastectomy scar causing leaking of lymph glands to her lung. Due to holes in the lung lining she has had both lungs talcum powdered to her rib cage to stop further fluid build up. After 4 months of intravenous chemo followed by taking Arimidex and taking Warfarin for a lung clot she regained her health. In Dec 2006 she developed a slight cough and chest crackling. She was given antibiotics by GP which did not get rid of the cough. In Jan 2007 GP prescribed a Linctus for the cough. The Linctus caused severe constipation so went back to GP. GP advised her to contact a herbalist for an alternative as he said other medicine had Codeine which he could not give her. Feb 2007 she noticed small pea shape lumps appearing under her skin. GP prescribed Fluxlocitlin tablets. The Arimidex tablets were stopped as several small pea sized tumors were now appearing. She was told that the Arimidex had stopped working. Feb 2007 she started a 3 week course of Xeloda (Capecitabine). Soon after she had to go back into hospital as her Warfarin reading had gone dangerously high causing her blood to be too thin (count of 10). In Mar 2007 she received another course of Xeloda but again had to go back into hospital as it caused her Warfarin reading to go too high (count of 8.5). On this occasion she had to have 4 bags of Plasma to thicken up her blood. Apr 2007 she was taken off Xeloda and put on Exemestane. 30/04/07 she has started her second course of Exemestane and regularly uses dry oxygen for shortness of breath. The dry oxygen causing her throat to be very sore and Nebulizer Atomizer and breathing exercise programme is being arranged.

Since mid Dec 2006 her cough has got worse, causing shortness of breath - simply going to the loo exhausts her. She has a poor quality of life because of this cough and it is now causing her to have problems sleeping. It would be nice to hear if anyone else has been through a similar experience and if anyone can suggest medication to stop or ease her cough. She will hopefully be getting the Nebulizer Atomizer soon which might help. My step father wanted me to share her story with you to see if there were others out there experiencing what my Mum has and anyone can suggest relief for her coughing.
Thank you,
Sue