Coldcap

Same for me. I was told that using the hairdryer on the lowest most gentle setting ok if going out but if possible don’t use at all. It was ok with hairdryer - I was very gentle and used it for shortest possible time. I used hair fibres for little bald patches which were great. Lost about 50% hair volume but manageable. Now clip it up until new hair a bit longer and will then get it all cut to same length. Good luck. It is definitely worth it as I did not need a wig at all. Have a lovely weekend. P x

Hi, just wanting to tap into everyone’s extensive knowledge and experience re hair loss. 

I was treated with Letrozole and Zoladex March to October this year and experienced significant hair thinning.

i had first cycle of EC just over 3 weeks ago and cold capped - uncomfortable but bearable, hair full of ice when completed. No hair loss at all following this, not even usual everyday shedding.

2nd EC on Monday - cold cap just didn’t feel the same, no ice on head on completion and since yesterday my hair is coming out when I run fingers through it.

So my questions are - does cold cap slow normal shedding? Am I just experiencing loss of hair that would have been lost in last 3 weeks? Should there be ice in hair on completion if cold cap effective? What time scales are typical in relation to chemo and hair loss - it seems 2 days after 2nd cycle is a little soon for this to happen or could this be from 1st cycle?

If anyone can help with info I would be really grateful.

The cap must be really tight for maximum effectiveness. Don’t panic though I had one session which didn’t fit properly…long story. …but no ice and hair started shedding. It doesnt last long and after the first couple of treatments I hardly lost any at all. Five months down the line I have a very respectable head of hair. If you can bear the pain stick with it. I think its worth it but remember we are all different

I echo Marli and Doglover’s comments. I cold capped for 3 x fec and 12 x weekly taxol from October 14 to April 15 and my hair thinned significantly, but started to grow back during weeklies. Now my hair is thicker than before and much healthier looking.

After my first fec I lost more hair than the other doses and put that down to cap not being as snug ad it should be.