Collapsed vertebra due to spine mets

Has anyone had a collapsed vertebra due to spine mets?

I have recently had x rays & MRI on lumbar spine as radiotherapy has not alleviated my pain and have been told that I have a collapsed vertebra. I have been scheduled for vertebroplasty next week and it does not seem to be straight forward as the ‘collapse’ is at the back next to the spinal fluid. It is all very scary and I just wondered if anyone has had similar experiences ?

All advice and comments welcome as I am having one of those ‘why me???’ days (you know how it is)

Angee x

My wife has shrunk 3 or 4 inches due to the same problem. They have not offered the vertebroplasty to her as it is wide spread.
She is under pain control via morphine patches and leads a fairly normal life.

Hi Angee

Yes i too have had a major verterbrae collapse due to spine mets. I was a whisker away from spine compression, so much so they said there was nothing more they could do form me. I had a blast of rads then passed to a pallitive care team who said they could try a nerve blocker to at least ease the pain.That happened back in May and i have been fine ever since - no pain,stiffness, nothing and it would appear that a combination of the biosophonate (sp?) drug (Zometa) and the chemo (capecitabine) has halted the cancer enough that my spine has started reparing itself.

I havent had vertebroplasty so cant help you there but suggest you ask your team what it involves.

I wish you luck - stay strong you will be fine.

xxxx

Hi

I have posted this on behalf of Terry.

Regards

Louise

My wife has shrunk 3 or 4 inches due to the same problem. They have not offered the vertebroplasty to her as it is wide spread.
She is under pain control via morphine patches and leads a fairly normal life.

Oh Angee

I know nothing about vertebroplasty but wanted to say that I am thinking of you - no wonder them bish-boshes havent been helping with the pain!! It sounds awful!!!

Missed you on chat recently??? Will you be participating tomorrow???

Try to keep your chin up - nigh on impossible, I know

Big Hugs

Anne xx

Have just found this breastcancercare.org.uk//docs/secondary_breast_cancer_in_the_bone_0.pdf

Hi Angee

my wife has recently undergone radiotherapy for spine mets a fracture in her spine and two collapsed vertibrae , her pain has still not eased and after seeing her Onc. today she ordered a mri for wednesday this week , so they can gauge the unstableness of her spine , after viewing they will decide on corset !!, possible surgery after discussion with an orthopedic surgeon , and restart chemotherapy using vinorelbine my wife has mets to lungs and liver she has also been taking zometa ishall have to ask about the vertebroplasty i suspect it is an injecion of zometa targeted to a specific area
hope all goes well for you
regards john

Hello everyone,

Thank you all so much for taking time to reply to me. I have been out for a meal and a couple of glasses of wine (what the hell!!) and have decided to have the vertebroplasty. I have seen the consultant this afternoon and he will inject a cement like fluid into the collapsed vertebrae. It is complicated as it is so near the spinal fluid but he is prepared to give it a go if I am. There will be an orth surgeon on standby and if the cement stuff starts leaking into the spinal fluid. However if all goes well and my arms and legs work ok after, I can go home in the afternoon. I asked about permanent paralysis and this is ‘remote’ It is all so scary. I was only diagnosed in October and cannot believe I am at this place so soon.

John, I would be interested to know how your wife gets on after her MRI. I had my MRI last Monday.

Anne, sorry I have not been in the sec chat room. I am taking so many painkillers I am aseep so early these days (tho strangely not tonight… must be the wine!) I will set my alarm clock for tomorrow. I have my next round of bishbosh on Friday and my pre op assessment on Thursday so might as well move in there…

Thanks again everyone and will come back and let you know how it all went.

BIG thanks,

Angee xxx