Concerned & Confused

Hello all. Well I’m a 30yo f and feeling a bit weird to be honest…

I know it’s generally the norm these days for us ladies to have one boob bigger than the other and this has been the case for me since my late teens. When I was 16 I felt a hard lump in my right breast (the bigger one) and went to the docs with my mother and was referred for an US. The results came back and I was told it was just hormonal so I didn’t think anymore of it or worry.

In 2012 I developed a crusty rash on both breasts around the nipples, very itchy and sore and had very painful nipples. The rash had been bothering me for a number of months but when the painful, almost raw nipples started I went to the docs and was checked over by a nurse practitioner who told me it was eczema and not to worry, so I didn’t.

Now I have been with my boyfriend for 2 years and towards the end of last year I noticed when lifting up my arms in the shower that there is an odd dimpling in my skin on the left breast. I didn’t worry, thought it might be my weight loss/exercise regime at the time but have also had some pain and discomfort in that area too, then and still now. 

A month ago I was in bed with my bf and he said to me he could feel some lumps and asked if I had noticed that my left breast seemed to be getting smaller. Now when I stand/sit up I can’t really feel any lumps but can when lying down and I have become more conscious of the size of it now. It is that noticeable that I have had several close friends point it out to me and ask if everything is ok. It was about a cup size smaller before but I’d say now it’s more like 2-3 cup sizes smaller. My right breast fills the bra cup perfectly and the left breast is now barely half filling it.

Other problems with the left breast are - always very itchy and a dark pigmentation under my nipple, like 2 50p pieces, I have only noticed this recently.

My boyfiend goes on at me, pretty much on a daily basis, to book an appointment but I feel it will just be wasting peoples time. There can’t be anything wrong, can there?

Am I just being paranoid now and worrying over nothing? Part of me feels like I need to go to the doctors but I have little faith in the local nhs where I live now and feel that the only response I will get is laughed out and told I’m too young and it’s hormonal or that it’s “nothing to worry about”.

Feeling quiet, withdrawn, confused and concerned… Anybody have any advice? Do you think this is just hormonal and will balance itself out? Is it normal for a boob to shrink and the other remain full?

Dear jplou83,

Please listen to your boyfriend and make an appointment with your GP. Any breast concerns need to be checked out, and you most definitely WON’T be wasting anyone’s time. Ask for a referral to the breast clinic for a proper check - you shouldn’t be going through this. OK, they might say there is nothing wrong, but at least it has been checked and your mind will be put to rest. I have never heard of a breast shrinking so much - even with weight loss, both would shrink, not just one, I’m sure. 

It is true that at 30 your are on the young side for breast cancer, but sadly, it does happen. Be a pest at the doctors and make it clear you are very concerned and need to be reassured by the breast clinic. You aren’t being paranoid at all, just sensible to take these precautions.

Sending hugs and best wishes

poemsgalore xx

Hi poemsgalore,

Thank you for your reply. I’ll have to phone up in the week and book an appointment with the nurse and I’ll ask for a referral.

The shrinking is making me very self conscious. I constantly wear big wrap scarves so they cover the chest.

I need to stop being a wimp and just go. I need to (wo)MAN up :slight_smile:

Thank you,

jplou83 xx

Hi jplou, welcome to the BCC forums

In addition to the support here our helpliners are on head with practical and emotional support on 0808 800 6000 and lines open weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2 so please feel free to call to talk your concerns through

Here’s a link to the ‘Worried about breast cancer’ information on this site which you may find helpful:

breastcancercare.org.uk/worried

Take care
Lucy BCC