Concerns about taking venlaflaxine

Is there anyone else who, like me, is concerned about taking an anti-depressant (venlaflaxine) for hot flushes?

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who is taking this drug for their flushes and what your experience is.

Thank you.

Wendy.

Hi

I’m not taking it but remember when I was first using this site that there were a few ladies who found it very helpful for the hotties.

I wouldn’t be too worried about a low dose if it does the trick.

D

Hi Wendy

Please feel free to contact the helpline if you would like to talk through your concerns about taking antidepressents for hot flushes. The line is open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm and Saturdays 9am to 2pm and the number to call is free phone 0808 800 6000.

Kind regards

Sam
BCC Facilitator

Hello Wendy

I’ve been on venlafaxine for several months now. I stopped taking HRT when diagnosed and the hot flushes started gradually, got worse with chemo and then much worse when I started Aromasin.

I take 2 x 37.5 mg per day. They don’t stop the flushes completely - I still have some really bad hot sweats several times a day when I literally drip with sweat, but I believe that they are probably fewer than they would be if I wasn’t on the venlafaxine.

At first I was worried about taking this drug too but I believe the benefits outweigh the risks. Just remember if you take it and then decide to stop taking it, that the dose needs to be reduced gradually.

Best wishes
Anthi x

Hi Anthi and Wendy
I have been taking clonidine for my hotties and feel that perhaps they have helped to reduce them slightly. My onc ,however, said that they either work or don’t so has reccommended that I try venlaflaxine as they have a really good track record. I only saw him yesterday so haven’t yet got them from my doc but I am a little alarmed to hear that Anthi is still having several baddies a day. That’s how I am now so is it worth trying them? I suppose that anything is worth a go, they just get your nerves don’t they…I mean the flushes not the docs!!
Lots of love
Scarlet.xx

Hi Dahlia, Anthea and Scarlet

Thank you all so much for your comments.

Well, I bit the bullet 3 days ago and started taking the Venflaxine. The first night I had no sweats at all (Hooray!!) but was awake most of the night with a headache! I just knew things wouldn’t be that straightforward!

However, I am now having far fewer flushes, day and night, and the sweating is greatly reduced so hopefully they will work ok.

Scarlet - give them a try, I guess everyone is different so you won’t know if you don’t try.

Anthea - thanks for your advice about reduction, that is worth knowing.

Good luck all and once again thanks.

Wendy.

Hi

I was like you and had reservations about taking an anti-depressant. In fact I threw the first packet away as I didn’t want to be branded a psycho! However, I’ve been on them now for 3 months, and I can confirm you really don’t notice any effect on your mental/emotional state at all. I do still get hot from time to time, but it’s not the skin-peeling feeling of a hot flush. I’d recommend it.

SuzieK