confused

confused

confused i am sorry to sound so daft but i am a bit confused i had DCIS and it was high grade i had surgery twice to remove it and it worked it was high grade DCIS so i had to have RT for 17 days now i am waiting to go back in 6 weeks to see the doctor.i have been reading some of the other letters and find that most women who had the same as me have had mastestomy so i think that i am lucky to only have had surgery and rt.but i also can not help worrying am i ok or will it come back cos i still have my breast.if anyone out there as had the same as me please let me know .i am so worried it might come back .also everyone says i have had breast cancer even my doctor but how can DCIS be breast cancer when it is cured.thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this.

Hi, I too was diagnosed with high grade dcis. The surgeon told me the news was good as they got clear margins and that the grade was of no significance because no invasive cells were found. I also had a needle biopsy of one of my lymph nodes in advance of my WLI as it looked odd but was probably a normal variant (it was clear). I am due to start radiotherapy soon. There seems to be some variation on treatment as I was not tested for hormone receptors although some people seem to be.
I asked to have a look at my pathology report as I think it’s important to keep informed.
I suggest you keep asking questions of your breast care nurses and your surgeon when you see him/her.

In the same boat!! Hi
I’m back home now after my second WLE - I had a bit of a battering as I had a haematoma & had to go back to theatre withi2 hours of coming round. black & blue & very wobbly & weepy. Waiting for the results on 11th & hoping I can keep my breast!!
I had been diagnosed with high grade DCIS & share the same confusion over the agressive treatment, the fact it’s not invasive/life threatening. You have to have faith that they are doing everything to make sure that it won’t come back & that they are very cautios. This will influence the treatment. I am also young at 42 & scared it will come back/get invasive - but I do trust the team who are working with (on) me.
I opted for a second WLE because I just couldn’t make the decision to have a mastectomy yet. I feel better about it now, especially as I have decided not to have plastic surgery. I like my body & just don’t want more surgery than necessary.
It’s hard with all the different stuff going on - & the kids bouncing around etc. This forum has been great for me to feel that I am not going through this awful stuff alone.
Scotty - are you OK after your sugery, just to say am thinking of you.
Felicity