Contraception advise please!

Contraception advise please!

Contraception advise please! Not sure if anyone can give me any advice on this. I am on Zoladex injections and Tamoxifen I have not had a period for 2 years now.

I am due to have my Mirena coil removed this week and was not planning to have another one fitted. I am assuming that it will be impossible for me to get pregnant so was planning not to use any contraception.

Has anyone got any advice/experience on this - am I doing the right thing???

Thanks for your help

Hi DMS HI DMS,

I was diagnosed with oestrogen-positive BC in 2003 when I was 41.

After a mastectomy, chemotherapy and radiotherapy I was put on zoladex and tamoxifen. I remained on these drugs for two years during which I did not have any periods. I was, however, advised that contraception was necessary because although I wasn’t having periods I was probably still premenopausal. We decided that my husband should use condoms.

I stopped both drugs at the end of November 2005, just before my 44th birthday. I didn’t have a period until August 2006 when I had the heaviest period I’ve ever had. I then had a light period in October 2006, followed by a normal period in February 2007 and a normal period exactly 28 days later in March 2007.

I suspect that, hormonally-speaking, things are getting back to normal and we are going to have to consider additional forms of contraception.

Hope that this information is useful.

With very best wishes,

Sue

Thank you Thanks for your reply I did contact my breast cancer nurse who advised me that even with Zoladex injections it was not 100% guarantee that I would not get pregnant - so she advised that we do take extra precautions.

Thanks again to all who have posted.