"cooking" in April/May 09 any others new to rads ?

Hi all, Lulu hope it goes okay for you today. For some reason I’m getting a bit anxious about even, even tho I’ve been told it’s a picnic compared to chemo. I guess once I get started, it’ll be fine. It’s great when people that have been thru it post and share their experiences - especially when they’re so positive. Well, there are a few of us for which d-day is Wednesday so look forward to comparing notes. The provisional schedule I’ve been given includes appts at nearly 7 in the evening! Most are either 8.40am or around 6pm, will get actual times at first appt. For those with a long journey, hope your times are more appropriate!!! Will check in later, Pat x
PS Sandra - cabbage leaves? I will if you will!

Hi Ladies,
I finished rads 5 weeks ago. I used [and still am] the radiance cream from the bristol cancer centre. It is expensive [£16 for a pot] but is amazing stuff! Has got in it- aloe vera, royal jelly, jasmine,lavender and rose. Kept my skin from burning, itching and splitting and the nurses commented how good my skin looked after 15 sessions.
well worth the money-good luck to you all having rads at the moment
Leadie

Do wish I had looked more carefully at this thread. Have just completed a 5x round treatment to the face and had agony with skin around one eye. “Use anything” was the answer to a cry for help from the hospital. “Use Aqueous Cream” was the pharmacist’s response.

In fact the only thing that helped was “Baby butter” or Badger Balm, both of which are made from olive oil, calendula, chamomile and no parabens or animal fats. E45 and aqueous cream both stung like mad. I may put some Radiance Cream into stock in case of future need.

first time yesterday which was ok. I’ve already been weighed and had a blood test prior to radio but a student nurse told me that was nothing to do with radiotherapy but probably to track any problems with medication. He also said there should be no nauseousness associated with radiotherapy.

Any thoughts? This wasn’t what I’d gleaned from the posts here. Glad my husband is able to drive me to the first two appointments as it’s a fight to get back through rush hour traffic on the motorway!

Everyone reacts differently to all these treatments, but I had no problems with rads of 25 sessions (5 weeks x 5). I drove myself to all the sessions and carried on working part time. I used Aloe Vera gel (99.5% pure) to begin with and then used Emu Oil which is used in Australia for rads patients. You can buy it on eBay. Towards the end I did get some problems -I’m fair skinned and quite large boobs - but nowhere near as bad as the onc said it might be. I was 64 last year when having the treatment so I’m no “spring chicken” but I really thought it was okay apart from the nuisance of going all the time. I made a little chart and kept ticking off the days as I went & that seemed to help a bit too.

The only time I was weighed was for my pre op assessment the day before my op, will report back tomorrow after the first appointment.

I’ve not heard of people feeling sicky,just tired or sore or itchy or having their boob split open…eeeeekkkk.! Raring to go now and got car filled with good music and murray mints !

Oh and I’ve got the savoy cabbage in the fridge chilling nicely…just in case…

Sandra x

Hi all I have finished rads in march and had a nasty rash about 2 weeks ago like when you get sunburn and prickly heat all rolled into one.
A nice BC Nurse gave me some burn cream called Flamazine that helped a great deal because the itch and soreness was driving me mad.Christies was great and had a special car park for radiotherapy patients, I am going back on Friday for a check on my skins progress.

I had problems with a frozen shoulder and was very worried I wouldn’t get my arm in the right place for long enough but they were very good and I managed it without any pain. Sometimes you get a feeling like you have a lump in your throat that you cant swollow but they give you some medicine to sort it.Hope this helps Hugs ABBY

Well I hope you all had it as easy as me today ! Well,apart from the drive…but then I actually quite enjoyed that too ! May not be saying that by the end of it though !

I swap my parking ticket for another one at the desk and rads patients here don’t have to pay for parking either.

Also got given a nice deep purple gown with a multitude of poppers for the duration. Was in for less than 10 mins with 2 30 sec zaps and that was that. Oooh and had The Bee Gees playing “you should be dancing” lol yeah right when have got to lie stock still with my boob out…it did make me laugh.

Sandra x

Hope you don’t mind me joining this thread, but I have an appointment for my rads measuring up and tattooing session on the 8th May . I haven’t yet got a date for the start of my treatment proper, I presume they will give me that date on the 8th.

I will have to travel to Jimmy’s in Leeds for my treatment, about half an hour away .

I have just finished my chemotherapy today…4 sessions of Epirubicin plus 4 sessions of Xeloda tablets , I am so glad to put all that behind me.

I had my six monthly checkup with the breast surgeon last Monday, who tells me I have Lymphoedema in my breast tissue, and my breast is painful and swollen now, so I am really worried about what the Rads will do to it . Anybody else have this problem ?

Hugs,
Jill

Hi

Rads-1 down 14 to go.

Compared with chemo and surgery this was easy.It only took about 15 minutes in all including getting undressed and dressed again.I have my own gown and a wealth of information about cream to use.

The journey into London on the train is a nuisance but only a few of the appointments will involve rush hour travelling. Tomorrow I have to be in London early for rads and then in Kent at 1pm for prothesis fitting so I am going on the back of hubbies motorcyle. Please all keep your fingers crossed for a dry morning, I really don’t do motorbikes and rain!!

Jill I had to wait for my schedule to come in the post following rads planning. It took about 2 weeks.I suffered with seromas after my surgery and was worried that the swelling I still have would delay the rads but it hasn’t been a problem. After surgery in my naive mind I expected to be dead flat but the reality has left me with what can only be referred to as man boobs.

Good luck everyone

Andie

10 down, 5 (plus 3-5 booster sessions) to go. Now going a faintly pink colour, nipple rather itchy and site of tumour very hard, lumpy and puckered up. Otherwise the whole process is fine. The staff at Northampton General are lovely, and it seems very efficient there (apart from the parking being a bit of a pain). Luckily I haven’t had to drive there yet as friends & family are taking turns in “chauffeur-ing” me.
I’m hoping to get my booster planning session re-scheduled soon.
Phili x

Hi Jill, when I got my appointment through for planning I got my first rads date/time through as well. I got the rest of my timetable today and have them all round about the same time,also got a session with the physiotherapist booked up and an appointment with the onc in the last week.

The day after I got my stitches out(WLE and SNB) my boob exploded ! Had a huge amount of fluid/yuk come out which got swabbed and it wasn’t infected,had another major explosion(literally) 2 days after and it leaked for a good week or so after that.However, it is all fine now,was initially hard and lumpy under scar but have been gently massaging it with aqueous cream and it has improved a huge amount,rads can make your boobs firm up and go hard. My onc said it will just not go back to the way it was ,unfortunately.Great that you have finished chemo tho,am sure this will be a stroll in the park after that.

Fingers crossed for a dry day tomorrow Andie,good luck with that. Better go zzzzzzzzzz now.

Sandra x

Hi Ladies, I agree with Sandra and Andie, it was fine. Although I waited an hour b4 being called, and they measured me up again and took x-rays - they said theat would be done each week of rads. Actual zapping only took 3 or 4 mins at the most. Jill, I’m sure you’ll be okay, my boob is still a little swollen from surgery in Nov, as long as you look after the skin well it 'll be ok. Lulu, hows it going? Phili, you’re almost done! What are the booster sessions? Sandra, has the cabbage been used yet! I found the underside of my boob was a little tender, bra seemed to rub so will see if I can find a sports bra to wear. Oh well, we’re on our way. all the best for today, Pat x

Hello
Are you going to Clatterbridge? as I have two sessions left there , Don,t worry the therapy is far less demanding than chemo, yesterday was the first day I was tired out and had to go to bed early…everything else has been fine you use aqueous cream every day and you shouldn,t have a problem…my skin is slightly pink and I only have three sessions to go…The team there are tremendous they have all theinfo you need at the Macmillan centre and have you enquired about hospital transport…I am picked up and dropped off everyday by ambulance or volunteer driver…My whole experience has been really positive .

I got some very comfy bras from M and S they are like sports bras with very deep band they don’t look fashionable but boy are they easy to wear. X ABBY.

Had my rads in Jan and found radiotherapy a complete doddle.after the horrors of chemo. I had no skin reaction ( even though I have a sensitive skin & had previously had cellulititis)- and I found the staff very pleasant, kind, efficient and quick.
I had an hour’s drive each way which I mostly did alone ; parking was often a problem and NOT free but the actual treatment was almost a pleasure after my very poor experience of production-line chemo sessions. No after-effects thus far except the irradiated breast is firmer than the other one!

Hi all, Abby thanks for the tip, good old m&s. I bought a sports bra from a local sports shop and it’s not bad but will have a look at the m&s ones. On their website they have a pack of two for about £12 or something. I bought a size bigger and it’s much comfier than my normal bras. Well, todays appt was much quicker even tho they took pics again. Been told I can commence tamoxifen - goody!!! More hot flushes and night sweats to look fwd to. I might buy a ‘magnapulse’ it’s avail online and at Boots and is supposed to be very effective at reducing flushes and sweats assoc. with menopause - anythings worth a go. Well Andi, no rain! Hope your appts went well, which hosp are you having rads at in London? Sandra, used the leaves yet? My boob is a little bit pink at the mo. Not too bad tho. Hope everyone else is doing ok. Pat x

Hi

Pat I am having my rads mostly at Guys but a couple are at St Thomas’- the hospitals belong to the same trust-it is pot luck which one you are sent to.

Today after my rad zap I had to see the senior radiographer which is standard proceedure - and will happen every thursday during rads treatment. Then on the last thursday I will be sent to the breast clinic to see the oncologist.( No appointment just wait your turn)I just thought it was in, zap and out again, wrong again.

Travelling on the bike was OK. The rain held off and we made good time. Hubby has now decided that thats the way to do it!! When will he realise that I am a lady of senior years and have no desire to reclaim my biking youth.

Having made the effort to get to the London hospital as afficiently as possible my own hospital cancelled my prothesis appointment so I could have gone by train after all.

I have never heard of a magnapulse and would be very interested to know how effective it is. I too will be going on tamoxifen, but am still suffering from hot flushes post menopause. The chillow is very good as well, but I will give anything a try(even vegetable leaves if they work)

I hope everyone had a good day and is looking forward to being further ‘cooked’ tomorrow

Andie

Hi Andi, snap, most of my treatment is Guys, and the last Friday zap on 15th May will be at tommies so that I can see onc there. I work at Guys in the Urology centre, I’d only been there about 8wks when all this happened so have been off ever since. Now looking fwd to getting back to work, even if only p/time at first. What a nuisance when they cancel appts, I’ll be glad when thenonly reason I need to go to hosp is to work! You’re very brave on the bike, I wouldn’t be too keen. Haven’t you started the tamoxifen yet? The senior radiographer that I also saw today (Jane?) checked my notes and said onc clearly said I would start tam after chemo so will begin tonight .(I’ve read that if you take it at night it cuts down on the nausea). Well, 2 down 13 to go and we have a nice 3 day break after tomorrow. All the best to all, Pat x

Hi all, ooooh was subjected to “islands in the stream” with Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton !

Am fine and dandy just a little warmth in the boob,haven’t resorted to the cabbage leaves just yet…

Oooh you biker chic Andie, you wouldn’t catch me on one of them,got put off as a teenager when my shoes fell off,right enough don’t think that clogs were the ideal footwear !

I had some pics taken of boob today so they can monitor it visually through treatment and was in and out very quickly so can’t complain,I find it strangely relaxing,am sure they must blast me with some happy drugs while I’m in there or maybe my euphoria is due to escaping the mad music ! Lol.

Got a mate driving me up tomorrow so am looking forward to treating us to a nice lunch !
I have been on tamoxifen a month now and take it at night before I go to bed with an evening primrose tablet,felt a bit nauseous first couple of days but that passed,only side effect I have is it seems to have affected my sleep,can get off ok but after 4 hours seem to be very restless and not having a proper deep sleep,but nowt else apart from that so can’t complain.

Hope all your skin is holding up and your slapping on that cream.

Sandra x

Hi Sandra, glad to hear they’re keeping you entertained whilst your cooking. I’ve got my planning appointment next Wednesday and then I start 3 weeks rads on 20 May. I’ll certainly be glad to get going on it, as it will be 14 weeks post surgery when I start. I have to go to Brighton, which is only about 15 miles, but the traffic there is horrendous, so goodness knows how long it will take. I’ve also got a meeting there on Tuesday, which they call a “welcome meeting”. You get to have a good look around, are shown the equipment and have a chance to talk to staff, so at least I’ll know where I’m going when I arrive for my appointment.

I’m reassured by the comments so far that it is not too problematic. Do you all find you need soft bras? I’ve only just started to wear my normal underwired ones and not looking forward to going back to the “engineered by Wimpey” ones. Also, I find all the soft ones are cut really high and they show under summer clothes/v necks/t shirts etc, as I’m quite short.