Could I catch rubella?

Hi, my lovely little grandson has caught rubella (german measles), before the age they offer the MMR jab. I was just wondering if chemotherapy would have affected my immunity to these types of illness. I had the illness as a very young child/toddler and also had measles, mumps and chicken pox. Does anyone know whether my immunity will have been affected? Just thinking about whether I could get it after cuddling him for some hours just before he came out with the rash so have had a direct hit, albeit a lovely big dribbly cuddle :0
Lily

Chemotherapy does generally affect immunity levels.  I don’t know much about rubella but it sounds like a phone call to someone in your hopsital team might be worthwhile.  Apart from your own health obviously, I suppose the chemo team ought to know because if you’re due to be in amongst chemo patients again any time soon the staff may want to take extra precautions if you’re potentially infectious to others whose immune systems will also be compromised.

Good luck, hopefully there’s not a problem but, if it were me, I’d be keeping away from the grandson until you have some answers from a healthcare professional.