Counting from when?!

I tried to clear up the confusion in my mind, as to when you count from, for the “1 year on, 2 years on, 3 years on, etc…!”

Asked the breast surgery team and they said… we count it from surgery, after all, that’s when the cancer is cut out…

Asked the oncologist a week later and he said… we count from the end of treatment! So I mentioned what the surgeon said and the oncologist replied that the surgeon probably knows more about the breast surgery, but that they know more about the cancer…

So… I’m either 2 yrs 1 mth on (post-surgery) or 1yr 4mths (end of treatment)

So… no clearer and still confused!
Hey, maybe I should count from halfway through treatment, i.e. average out the two opinions :slight_smile:

Ali x

We usually count from the day of diagnosis.
Alli x

I was told from the day of surgery by the oncologist.

Hi

I asked this at my recent checkup and was told “it is arbitrary but we use date of diagnosis”.

Any date would be just as arbitrary wouold it not?

D

The day of diagnosis for me was 8 days after surgery on account of the cancer not showing up on any of the tests and the tumour being hidden a by a fibroid I had removed as a day case. All a bit confusing as in my case everything happened back to front and the diagnosis wasn’t expected.

Hi, I am in the same boat as you had the biopsies, mamograms etc all came back ok, went into day surgery and came out with a much bigger incision than told to expect then waited 7 weeks for the diagnosis which as in your case was completely unexpected. 4 months after that went into hospital to have lymph nodes removed then 2months after that radiotherapy.