Covid injection and immunity

Hi, I’ve finished chemo and Radiotherapy March 2022. I’ve been sent a nhs text to say, my immunity could still be low, and I’m eligible for the covid jab now. I thought I would have built my immunity up by now. Many thanks for your time. 

Hi Dogslover

Thank you for your question.

Because COVID-19 is more serious in people with certain underlying health conditions and whose immune systems are weakened, many people who had a diagnosis and treatment for breast cancer have routinely been offered Covid vaccinations since their introduction.

Those eligible for a COVID-19 booster dose this spring, are being contacted by the NHS to offer them an appointment between April and June.

You can reada guide to the COVID-19 spring booster 2023on the GOV.UK website.

As you mention, when you have completed your breast cancer treatment, your immune system gradually recovers from any side effects of chemotherapy or other treatments. For some people this may take longer than others.

It’s possible that records are not up to date or that since it’s just a year since you finished your breast cancer treatments, that you’re still recognised as being in this group. As you’re unsure about whether you’re eligible, speak to your GP or treatment team.

We are currently evaluating this service and would appreciate your feedback. Please click here to the survey. It should take approximately 10 minutes to complete.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Grete

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.