Creams and Manuka honey

Help! I’m new to this team. I have read several older threads re manuka honey and recommended creams… Wait! Let me give a brief background. Diagnosis Sept., right sister lumpectomy October 31st… No nodes or margins (indeed very blessed) . I’m on #13 of 37 radiation treatments.

Received tips from another forum to use cabbage leaves during the day for swelling, Keys Redi-Care healing spray and Manuka honey at night. I’m already pink… Ugh! Think it’s the Redi Care? I shouldn’t use a burn cream on breast that is not burned?

I do like the honey… But must be missing the proper way to apply. It’s so thick when I gently rub it on my whole breast before bed. Next goes a 100% cotton “husband” sleeveless tee… Rather loose. But the tee not only sticks but ADHERES to my breast. Makes things a little uncomfortable to say the least ! I wear the tee because i would definitely stick to the sheets and have an even greater mess. In a.m. I just get in the shower, tee and all and the warm water helps remove everything w/o peeling off my skin. :0 ouch. Goodness I’m trying to be kind to this tender area.

Before I post too much (blab blab) any of you angels have any suggestions? I might skip the Redi care and go for Aloe. What about Calendula? See… There I go again!

Hello Gawaanda

Welcome to the forums, I’m sorry to hear that you are going trough a difficult time at the moment. I’m sure the users of this site will be along to support you soon.

Maybe you would like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 600 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 9.00 to 2.00.

best wishes
June, moderator

Hi Gawaanda

Before you use anything you do need to check with the radiotherapy department. I was told that some substances can interfere with the radiation and that’s the last thing you want - you want it to be the most effective it can be.

When I had rads the dept was very specific about what I could use. I was told aqueous cream which I also used in the shower.

Once I finished rads - about 4 weeks after - I checked with them if I could switch to coconut oil (organic) and was told that was fine. That worked really well for me and redness went within days.

Everyone is different and rads dept also seem to offer different advice but please do check before you start any other treatments.

take care
Elinda x

Hi
When I went red I went straight to the dressings nurse. Yesterday was number 15 and I now have 3 boosts to go. My under arm looks like someone has been at it with sandpaper. I only use aqueous cream. Radiation burn has to be treated carefully. I really would advise you to see the nurse. Hopefully mine won’t get much worse ,although it does look yucky, because I get a special gel spread over it, gauze dressing and then a padded thingy. The nurses have rigged up a stretchy bandage boob tube which holds all in place. I feel a lot better having them monitor me. They have also given me a couple of gel pads which can be cooled and put on the offending area. You don’t have to suffer in silence.
Yesterday the nurse commented that although under my arm was a rich ruby red and sore 8-(. the scar in that area had calmed down quite a bit. I am crossing my fingers as I know the boosts will make things worse and we continue to cook for a while afterwards

X Sarah

I washed, showered, shampooed using the most basic Simple products.

On my boob I used E45 after showering, 99% pure H&B Aloe Vera immediately after rads - before I put my clothes on, then a mixture of the two at night. If I felt a bit warm during the day, I applied more AV.

I had 25 sessions and didn’t get any skin breakdown at all.

Good luck
Dx

Wow. Thank you all.

Yes, I have been in contact before rads started with our Physician’s Assistant and verified that the therapies I used were ok… That I could try them. I’ve seen her twice, and again today. She agreed that what I was doing wasn’t working so I have a different path to follow. I really like this P.A. she has a way od making you feel better.

I guess I am pretty tired of having quite a few side effects already, and not even half way through :confused: Thank you for welcoming me and coming to my cry for help so quickly. God Bless.