DCIS diagnosis

After reading numerous postings, I find I was not alone in being bewildered by the initial diagnosis, DCIS. I was told pre-cancerous cells, but that I had DCIS. I said o.k. and after getting off the phone with my surgeon, looked up DCIS on the internet. The word “carcinoma” sent a cold chill through my body. How could I have ductal carcinoma if I had pre-cancerous cells? The next day I had my appointment with my surgeon. I was given some reading material by the nurse practictioner on breast cancer. I then knew I had breast cancer. I had the required stereotactic biopsy and then the MRI to find lymph node involvement. Even though the MRI showed no lymph node involvement, my surgeon recommended the sentinal node biopsy during the surgery. I am glad he did. That came back o.k., but I had multiple DCIS in the right breast and opted for the bilateral mastectomy. At 62, I don’t want to go through that again, and I hope I don’t have to. I need to go back every six months to my surgeon for an examination, as there is a 10% chance it could return in the chest area. God forbid!!! Anyway, my daughters were angry at the time of diagnosis because I told all three over the phone that I had pre-cancerous cells and not to worry, but that I had DCIS and I would research it to find out what it was. I sent them the website of the Mayo Clinic, and they thought I was trying to hide the truth from them. They all three researched it also and found the same facts as I did. My oldest daughter now has a follow-up mammo scheduled for July, as the one she had six months ago showed a nodule, but nothing to worry about…yeah, right!!! If she has microcalcifications, she’ll need a stereotactic biopsy also. 80% of all calcifications are benign. I was part of the 20% that was not so lucky. I am not complaining as it could have been much worse. Thank God for family and friends, emphasis on family.