DCIS with/without hormone treatment; worrying

Hi Jo

I was never tested for anything and was told that the effects of tamoxifen would outweigh the benefits, however it would be nice to know so I could make an informed choice!!. My oncologist wanted me to go on the clinical trial but I am not yet postmenopausal so would qualify. Arimidex sounds promising, definitely. I may ask again at my next appointment.

I know the results of my ER and PR status (both positive) but never asked about HER2. Would the hospital automatically have tested for this as they tested for ER and PR? My hospital only seem to give out information if you ask specific questions.

I have a high grade comedo necrosis DCIS with wide area of calcification. I had left SSM with immediate DIEP reconstruction on 8th October. My path result shows ER and PR positive, with additional grade 1 invasive ductal carcinoma. My consultant at Marsden said that i do not need chemo or radio therapy, just 5 years of tamoxifen to prevent recurrence. I am sure each individual is different. I am aware of the side effect, but I was told that tamoxifen is the best solution for me. I recently read an article about tamoxifen trial result on the American Soc for Clinical Oncology asco.org/ASCO/Abstracts+&+Virtual+Meeting/Abstracts?&vmview=abst_detail_view&confID=52&abstractID=40340 which mention that the evidence shows, it may prevent DCIS recurrence.

From the information I gathered, HER & ER positive is associated with higher risk of recurrence. At the end of the day, we are in the hands of those expert treating us, it would be their judgement in prescribing the treatment. My consultant said that if you ask 5 doctors, they would give different opinions.