DCIS

Am terrified! Can someone talk to me? Was diagnosed last week following biopsy. Surgeon says it may be possible to fix things by way of breast reduction - 4 hour op - terrified of anaesthetic and so very scared of everything. Anyone out there able to talk?

Hi Eileen251

Our Helpline is open today until 2.00pm.  Do give them a call to talk over how you are feeling.  They’ll be able to offer you practical information and emotional support.  The number is 0808 800 6000.  (Opening times 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays)

I’m sure you will also find lots of support from other members on this forum once they have seen your posts.

Take care

very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

It is isn’t it. I was you 13 months ago. Ended up with mx and recon. Each hosp appointment felt wron, for someone else.
talk about anaesthetic fears to anaesthetist, mine was great and rang me at home to check i was ok, my op was a lot longer than expected.

Hello Eileen

Its a scary time but you will be ok.  I had never had an op before my mx and recon this year so I had no idea what to expect but it was not anywhere near as bad as I thought, and have since had an uplift and reduction on my good boob which was a walk in the park.  Talk to your surgeon and your anaesthestist - they are usually only to happy to discuss any concerns you have.  Mine was that I am prone to vomiting 10 hours at a time and was concerned that this would be the case post op - they gave me additional anti emetic to be on the safe side and I was fine.  Hold to the fact that they have caught your cancer early and that it is treatable.  Thats what kept me going.   And take as much pain killer as offered - it is better to keep the pain at bay if it does not take breakthrough.  I had a pain catheter directly into the recon so it was only after I got home and had to rely on paraceutimol, ibuprofen and then when this wasn’t touching the edges tramadol and acupan that I actually felt any pain!