Delighted with my new breasts

I just wanted to share some positive feelings for all those facing a MX or considering reconstruction. I know I have been guilty of using this forum constantly during my active treatment, and inevitably, as your life moves on, you post less.

I had a MX in March 2011, with delayed recon. It was tough emotionally, but physically, surprisingly easy to recover from. I was fortunate to have no complications, and although I later developed mild lymphoedema, the scar healed very well, and was trouble free. As time went on, I actually found it quite reassuring in some ways, not having an immediate recon. I had a very large tumour, and I felt that any initial recurrence could be picked up more easily without an implant in the way (a personal feeling I hasten to add- not a medical one!) My rads were also fairly trouble free, without a breast or implant to move about and pull the skin.

I chose to have an LD recon, with implant, in February. I also opted to have a risk-reducing MX on the other side, with immediate recon. It was a long op, and I was very uncomfortable when I came round. But I had fabulous nursing care, and I was home on day 5, and feeling a lot better by about day 10.

I love having a cleavage again, and my new breasts are a great shape. Having lived with only one breast for a year, maybe I appreciate the ‘new model’ more, rather than comparing it to my old breast. My new breasts are completely different - much firmer, smaller- and so far without nipples - I don’t look the same as I did pre BC, but for me, that is ok. My partner has adapted and coped. What can I say? Life moves on doesn’t it? And this is helping me move into the future, rather than mourning what I have lost. I know recon is not the right choice for everyone, but it has been for me.

It can seem like an impossibly huge mountain to climb, especially combined with other treatments - but small steps get you there. Best wishes to all - whatever stage you are at,
Tracey

Tracey

Thanks for your post. I am having 5th chemo today and surgery is booked for 7th July. I am having right MX with immediate ld flap recon. Glad it all went well for you.

Jane

Dear Tracey, Well done for getting through all the treatments. Your post is so positive I am sure you will be an inspiration to other ladies who will be going through similar operations in the near future.
Ju st thought you would like to know that I had a mastectomy with reconstruction and implant 23 years ago and it is still looking good and I am still very happy with it. I never went to have another op on my “good” side and decided to leave well alone. But hope you continue to make a speedy recovery and I wish you all the best for the future with your new shape. Val

Thank you for sharing such a lovely positive story

I agree,
what a heartwarming and inpirational story. Thank you.

Hi Tracey’ I had mx may 2010 and am going to see consultant may 30th so it will be 2 years . and I can’t wait to have my recon I’m so glad it all went well for you thanks for sharing from another Tracey lol x