Dental charges

Dental charges

Dental charges I am a strong supporter of the idea that cancer patients should not have to pay prescription charges, and I have recenrtly been thinking that they should also be exempt from dental charges. Although my teeth and gums were not affected by chemo, I know from postings on the old forums that people can be quite badly affected, and I don’t see why they should have to pay outrageous dental charges to rectify problems arising from a treatment they are strongly advised to have. Of course, if like me you live in an area where there are virtually no dentists who will accept NHS patients, the charges are even more outrageous.

What do you think?

— I do agree with you. While gong throufgh treatment, i think any health issues that arise as a result of that treatment should not be met out of the patients pocket.

Dental treatment Hi There

This subject has been up and running in the site as well. My own experience is a good one. Not that having an awful time with my mouth was though!

I was referred to the local dental hospital and they have been carrying out what they call a total mouth rehabilitation. I’m still attending but coming close to completion of treatment. They have been wonderful and I could never have afforded the treatment had I not been referred.

I know many people may not have a dental hospital within reach but even if some travel is necessary it would be worthwhile checking it out and there is no problem with attending for treatment as it is a direct result of the cancer treatment. DDA is also a good thing.

Take care all.

Bill

As the new contract is coming out soon I am discovering more dentists are going private as many of my friends have had letters telling them that their dentist is not going to be working under the NHS when it is launched. In our local paper today one has sent letters to 6000 patients telling them this.

Not only is this bad for anyone needing dental work through having treatment which is causing problems with their teeth, but also children are expected to pay for treatment which I think is awful if we are hoping to bring up the next generation with their own teeth.

It sounds as tho the PCT’s are taking a sideward step into forcing NHS dentists to becoming private and costing them less, another worry less for them.

****** ********!

Steph x

My personal gripe… … is because a couple of years ago i was undergoing another op, and subsequent recouperation, which meant i missed a check up and so my next one was after the 15 months ‘go or you’re struck off’ time limit. So i was ‘struck-off’ as an NHS patient and now have to go privately. Hmmph! Still really miffed about that. No way round it - its part of the Labour NHS dental policy.

Dental charges I am lucky to still be with an NHS dentist but my teeth are horribly discoloured since chemo. I don’t know if its from the chemo, the mouthwashes, or because I was taking oramorph when I was unable to clean my teeth or use mouthwashes because of the thrush and ulcers

My dentist has been fantastic and cleaned them as best he can, but told me not to try and ‘scrub’ them clean, so it looks like I will have to fork out for crowns as I feel so self concious about them (I don’t suppose the weight gain and convict hairstyle help either). This would be considered cosmetic even though it has been caused by treatment

I wonder how much this will cost once the new guidelines come out, because if I have got facts right it will be one of the dearer treatments

Ah well, just another thing to contend with I suppose

mouthwash The mouthwash Corsodyl is renowned for yellowing teath. It takes a couple fo professional cleans to get teeth back to original colour again.

My dentist advised against using Corsodyl for that reason - she said to use a salt-water mouthwash after each brushing, 3 times a day, and if necessary to use a gum gel - Gengigel. Its stocked in dentists and also Superdrug - is expensive at around £7, but meant to be good.

“Gengigel is a biological mouth and gum-care gel, [and mouthrinse] based on hyaluronic acid, providing active protection from gum disease and support for the natural healing of inflamed and damaged tissue in the mouth.”

Dental Charges We had a letter from our dentist in November telling us that she would no longer be treating children on the NHS from March this year.
Hubby and I have been paying privately for some time and she warned us some time ago that this would happen. She is very scathing about the way the NHS has ‘negotiated’ with the BDA.

There is no point in us trying to find an NHS dentist locally - Bucks is one of the worst areas for lack of them.
We have been offered Denplan but my 3 children have very little done so that would appear to be expensive compared to her own charges for ‘treat as you go’.
Orthodontics is a worry because they are likely to go the same way. One of my children has just finished orthodontic treatment. The youngest will need more treatment due to overcrowding and our dentist has told us we are likely to havea bill for anything up to £2000 depending on what needs doing (for a 12 year old.) Thats if you can get an orthodontist. She refers 2 years before they are likely to need treatment because the waiting list is so long.
We have decided to stay with her because the alterative appears to be no treatment at all. We have also been with her for 15 years and the children trust her and are not scared to go. She is also very knowledgable about chemo and warfarin(which I take)
but I think that something somewhere is very wrong.

Panda