dermatix/silicone dressings

Hi

Has anyone used dermatix or other silicone dressings for their scars? What results have you had?

I have quite bad (i think) hypertrophic scarring on both abdo and breast after diep - registrar has mentioned using these products but won’t prescribe them - as they are so expensive I’m trying to find out if they are effective before shelling out for them. I’m also due to have reduction/uplift and nipple recon (now cancelled by hosp 'til whenever!) so I’ll have even more scarring which I’m told is likely to go the same as the others, so anything I can do to help is most welcome.

By the way, has anyone been able to get this stuff on prescription?

Hi,

I used dermatix for 6 months and I got my GP to give me a perscription for it so only paid perscription cost, had to go and ask for it, but you will see from my posts in “diep waiting list” if you dont ask, no-one will help - well that’s my experience anyway. The gel worked well, helped flatten the scar line and reduced the redness but it can still take upto 2 years for scars to settle.

Go see your GP and dont take no for an answer.

Good luck

Jo

Hi
I’m using silicone dressings on the area where my portacath was taken out - the whole area had got infected so I’ve got a very nasty scar there and that’s in my unaffected breast! Anyway the clinic that dressed it everyday whilst it was healing gave me a whole load of silicone dressings to use on it - not even on prescription so I was very lucky and I do believe these work otherwise they would not have been recommended. My GP didn’t seem to know anything about the dressings though
Good luck