Diagnosed 2 weeks ago

Hi

Feeling very teary whilst i’m writing this but I need to get my feelings out!!!

I was diagnosed just over 2 weeks ago now and have had my lumpectomy, got my results yesterday and was told 6 out of 14 lymph nodes had cancer cells, they say that the higher grade ones were all clear but i’m going for my CT scan on Thursday, I dont think I have ever been so scared!!

My Doc tells me that I am Oestrogen Receptor positive, I feel so upset as why this happened and I have to make a decision about preserving eggs as I have no children yet and 30 years old.

I suppose I am looking for a light at the end of the tunnel but I know that this is going to be a while yet, I cant sleep, I’m anxious all the time and hate being at home!!

Please tell me that these feelings are normal

Mel x x

Hi Mel,

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care chat forums. I am sure there will be lots of users along shortly to give you the support you are looking for.

I am sorry to hear you are so worried and scared. Could I suggest that you give our helpline a call? The call is freefone and the staff here are all either breast care nurses or people who have personal experience of breast cancer issues and are a welcome ‘listening ear’ for people like yourself. The lines are open Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm and Saturdays 9am - 2pm. The number to call is 0808 800 6000

You may also be interested in obtaining a copy of our Resources Pack which is full of lots of useful information. To obtain a copy follow the link below and a copy will be posted out to you free of charge.

breastcancercare.org.uk//content.php?page_id=7514

Hope this is of some help.

Kind regards

Louise, Moderator
Breast Cancer Care

Hi Mel,

So sorry you had to join us here but you will find great support, i am recently diagnosed and have chemo and mastectomy to come also Rads after that.
It is scary but everyone here has been through similar treatments and there is light at the end of the tunnel. Many of the members here are doing really well after treatment so take heart as i do from them.

there are many younger women too who i am sure will offer support

Love
Val xx

Thanks Val, today I woke up very upset, I think the demons in the night got the better of me but i’m determined to get through this and to be a stronger person the otherside, thankyou for your kind words of support.

Love Mel x

Mel

What you are feeling is completely and utterly normal. You will get plenty support and tips on here as you go through your treatment from all the wonderful people on here.

I was diagnosed is July - am getting chemo at present, then surgery then radiotherapy. My first thought when the onc told me was ‘I cant do this’ - wel here I am doing it. Yes there are bad days but there are good days too. Whatever your treatment - you will get through it.

I too hope to come out the other side a better person. We all say ‘why us’ and get angry but again this is normal - maybe we need to get angry to fight this horrible disease.

Moan and rant and rave on here as much as you want.

Sending hugs
Fiona
xx

Hi Fiona

I feel better already after your comments, the people on here seem wonderful and after waking up this morning in a tearful state I know that I can turn this day around to being a better one.

Take care & hugs back
Mel x x x

Hi Mel,

Sorry you’ve had to join us.
I was dx just after xmas and have just finished treatment, Chemo and rads. I’m 28. It was tough and it must seem like such a long way away until you finish treatment but you will get there.

The not being able to sleep is I guess normal for anybody in this horrible situation. I still can’t sleep now. I take it you have given up work as you say you hate being at home. have you got family near by ? Where about do you live ?

I gave up work when I was diagnosed but tried to keep myself busy between chemos. Try and plan something nice to do well in advance so you have something to look forward to between cycles.

There is light, i’m on the mend now and busy planning my wedding March 29th 2008 ( not long now ). Were getting a new puppy this saturday ( i’m so excited ) and I’ve just launched a new website selling jewellery that I built whilst having treatment (on my good days of course ). Things are looking up now.

Take each day as it comes, Be strong and stay positive.

Take care,

Mandy xxx

Hi Mandy

I live in Birmingham and have a family on hand for whenever I need them, my other half has been wonderful as well so I count myself blessed to have them.

I’m undecided as to what to do about work, to suddenly stop working after surgery was a big shock to system as I have worked day in day out since I was 16 and I love my job but I also feel that I need to concentrate on myself fully at the moment. Any advice?

Unfortunately this morning I have been cancelling our 4 week holiday to Thailand over Xmas! But wierdly enough I feel better for doing it as I feel i’m gradually taking control over things…

Where do u live Mandy? Any tips for planning nice things during my chemo

Take care
Mel x x x

Hi Pooter
Well I think we all know how you are feeling right now
I just couldn’t accept it was all happening to me
I had a left sided mastectomy in May. I had my operation at 3.30 on the Friday and at 2.30 the following afternoon I was sitting downstairs in the hospital cafe by the main entrance, drains and all.
My son came in and couldnt believe I was there.
Am halfway thru my chemo at the moment
All I can say is to accept the help and support from your consultants and oncologist and nurses, all of mine are so supportive throughout
Any questions just come back to me
Good luck
Maureen
xx

Hi Mel,

I’m so sorry you’ve had to join us, but ‘welcome’ to this most awesome site. I was diagnosed in March, age 34. I had a right mastectomy and total axillary clearance a week after diagnosis. My tumour was grade 3, I had extensive lymph node involvement and it was Er+ and HER2 +. I started chemo in may and finished 2 weeks ago tomorrow! Next for me is 15 rads, then Tamoxifen and Herceptin.

My boyfriend and I thought long and hard about getting some eggs harvested before I started chemo, as we do not yet have children but would dearly love them in the future. After much soul searching we came to the decision that we weren’t going to go for it, for many reasons, but largely because I didn’t want to delay my chemo. It turns out that as my tumour was hormone receptive, egg harvesting would not really have been advisable. This was due to the fact that they pump you full of hormones in order to produce more eggs. As my tumour was hormone receptive this process could have proved v.risky for me. However, my periods continued as normal throughout chemo and my onc is v.confident that they will also return once I have completed the course of Tamoxifen. Fingers and toes crossed!!!

Your feelings right now are totally understandable. This is scary stuff! I knew v.little about bc prior to diagnosis and it has been a v.steep learning curve! I live in Shropshire, not a million miles away from you, in fact I got my wig from an awesome wig shop called ‘Trendco’ in B’ham.

I wish you well as you start out on this journey.

Take care and you know where we are if you need us,

Kelly
-x-

Hi Pooter

Welcome to the site - this place has been an absolute lifeline for myself and many others - the girls on here are fantastic and there’s always someone to offer support and advice.

I was diagnosed back in April, and felt as you do now - absolutely terrified. I’m married with two daughters age 14 and 10 and telling them was horrendous. We all cried - it was awful. Six months on, I’ve had chemo and a mastectomy and am feeling so much more positive than I ever thought I would. I’ve still got radiotherapy and herceptin to go.

This is a very scary time for you, but I can promise you it will get better. Once you’ve had all your scans and know what you’re dealing with, then get your treatment plan, you’ll feel you’re getting somewhere.

I wish you all the very best, and please do keep in touch to let us know how you’re getting on.

Lots of love

Julie xxx

Hi Pooter

I can totally empathise with you from the other end of the age spectrum. I was dx in April having just got early retirement from a very demanding job. It turned my world upside down and I thought life would never be the same again. But here I am having had the mastectomy in May, last chemo last week - just facing rads and herceptin etc etc now. I thought it could not be done but it can be. Trust me, if I can do it with mostly a smile then so can you. I won’t pretend it isn’t a pain (hair loss sadly probably the hardest to bear) but you WILL do it.

This site is amazing. I have learned so much from everyone else on here, and we are all here for wach other. You can cry, chat, play and learn. You always have company. And [eople who know exactly what you are going through.

Please stay with us.

Much love

Dilys
xxxx

Hi Julie/Dilys

Thankyou so much for the comments.

I will be starting on the next part of my journey soon with chemo and I think this site will be a life line for me whilst i’m at home, i’m unsure what to expect with my chemo as meeting my onc tomorrow but i’ve been reading some posts, its scary stuff!!! My theory is the worse it makes me feel the better its doing killing anything that could be there!!! And I will trying to do it with a big smile on my face :o)

Take care and lots of love
Mel x x x

Hi Mel

I was told exactly the same thing - if you feel bad, imagine what it’s doing to the tumour ! You have the right attitude my lovely, and you’ll get through it - we’ll all be there with you too !

much love

Julie xxx