Just joined forum, diagnosed last Friday, 3rd June, still in a state of shock. Core biopsy has shown low grade cancer and tumor is less than 1cm. Have been given an op date for 8th July for lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy. Todays axillae ultrasound looked clear, however really worried about having to wait 4 weeks for op. I really want to know whether there may be cancer elsewhere as I have upper back pain… could it have spread to my lungs???
Met my consultant surgeon today and found her to be the most condsending, patronizing person I have ever come across. She was really talking down at both myself and sister who was there giving me so much support. Each time I asked a question she made me feel as though I was taking up too much of her precious time, and that I was being a nuisance!!! Left the hospital in tears, I am at the moment trying to get transfered to another consultant through the hospitals PALS service and with the help of my G.P.
Does 4 weeks waiting time for op seem normal??? I really want to know the outcome and move forward, I feel that I will go mad waiting that long!!!
Good luck to all.
Hi Liz F
Firstly, welcome to the forums, I am sure some of the other users will be along soon to offer you some support.
I’m sorry to read of your diagnosis, the first few days and weeks are always difficult when coming to terms with things and getting to grips with your treatment plans, etc.
I’ve given here the link to our Resource Pack for those people newly diagnosed. The pack is filled with information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available.
breastcancercare.org.uk/heal … tionId/82/
Also, do give the helpline a ring if you need any further support or information. They’re on 0808 800 6000. Open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 9-2 Saturday.
Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator
hi, Welcome to the forum. Sorry you had such a bad time with the consultant, you have enough to contend with at the time of getting the news without that.
I have a small lump. Its a cyst with a cancerous growth inside, and I am having to wait 4 weeks to get it removed. They found a thickening of one of the nodes too, but still are not worried, said it was probably just a normal reaction. However I am treating the 4 week wait as a bonus
firstly it means they think it is not aggressive, otherwise they would be having it out sooner, second it means I have plenty of time to prepare myself. I am trying to get lots of rest, going to get some accupuncture to build my energy levels up, getting a good well fitted sporting bra to wear in bed afterwards, etc. and giving my breast time to heal, it is still sore and bruised from the biopsy.
Its not nice having to wait, every now and again I think "what if htey are wrong, what if its spreading? And i would like to know is it in my nodes, do I need more treatment?
In the meantime I have an appointment with my breast nurse(I am sure you were given one) to go over everything the consultant said and to completely explain the proceedures again.
and of course using this forum for support and to answer a string of stupid question that pop up in the wee small hours
Hello Liz Your fear is perfectly normal, you just want the lump taken out and double quick! Do not be worried because of the 4 week wait, at my diagnosis I was given an op. date for 3 weeks hence but we had a holiday booked for that time and expressed regret as we knew we would not be getting away again this year but the consultant was perfectly happy to do the op. when I returned. It’s a shame that your consultant is not approachable and hope that your request for another will be dealt with soon. You should not have left the hospital in tears because of her attitude. That was terrible. Have you been given a BCN that you can call? Mine was (and still is) very easy to talk to and encouraged me to call her at any time.
Also, please take note of what OAL says about worrying in the wee small hours! I am guilty of this myself and have used this forum to allay my fears. Please try not to worry too muchxxx
I have a grade 3 tumour of about 4-4.5cms with DCIS and at least 1 infected lymph node requiring complete removal. My diagnosis to surgery period is also 4 weeks but as OAL says you will probably find you have a lot to do and the time will pass quickly. I’ve actually found myself panicking that the surgery is so soon which probably sounds completely daft.
Really, really good luck with arranging a new consultant and as Vee has said do make contact with your Breast Care Nurse. I’ve also found mine invaluable and she has been with me at every meeting with the consultant and has gone through everything discussed with me one-to-one afterwards.
It might be worth asking your new consultant/GP about the possibility of having scans to confirm there is no spread elsewhere. It’s a logical fear, it was certainly top of my list but MRI, CT and Bone scans have provided much needed reassurance in my case.
Good luck Liz and please let us know how you get on.
Mine was Grade 3, 45mm big and I had to wait 4 weeks for the WLE. I felt the same way, what if it’s spreading, what if it’s not in my nodes now but is in 4 weeks time… how can they say it’s aggressive and then leave it a month… you can go mad with it all.
Lean on your Breast Care Nurse to calm you down and explain things to you.
It’s such a fraught time with so many questions and they don’t stop either, the best thing she told me was one step at a time, don’t overwhelm yourself too much, you dont have to make decisions immediately etc.
First thing you do, google *everything* in medical history
Hiya, thanks for your replies, I have mananaged to move on to another consultant’s team, and have been given an op date 2 weeks earlier than previous one… finally a bit of good news. It does mean travelling quite a away from my local hospital (same hospital, different area) but I just want this over and done with soon as poss. so that I can move on to the next stage of this journey.
Trying to be more positive, getting loads of support from family… as well as from you ladies… thanks soooo much.
Hi Liz, just wanted to wish you luck and to say how lovely it is that you’ve managed to change surgeons and dates. It’s so important to have someone you have confidence in to treat you. Hugs xx
hello ladies,diagnosed may 25th(but had a feeling all was not right(damn thoose feelings!!)have a idc or(hick-up for short)hick-up
s on its way out on friday 10th june also having a snb,so hope he has no mates with him!!!.had up
s and downs but will beat this have great partner /family /friends and not forgetting 2 cats.have to have rads after but will deal with that l8r.would like to say a big thank you to all you ladies on this forum you have made it dark time seem bright!!!.