Diagnosed Monday and now worrying over every ailment

So sorry to hear this Cara, sending you loads of love. Stay in touch and together we can help you get through this xxx

Thanks everyone, I’m coping with it quite well its my husband who isn’t. I’m now just confused as to what will happen in regards to surgery and treatment as everything was planned around being safe as possible for the baby. Feel like I’m now back at the start and not getting anywhere. I now have to make the decision if I want more kids, I’m only 27 and hubby is 31 and obviously there is the risk of infertility while going through chemo. I need a drink! Xxx

Hi Cara, I’m sorry to hear what’s happened to you. I also had a miscarriage at 10 weeks after having a scan which found that development had stopped at 6 weeks. Unfortunately that was my 2nd miscarriage, so I think I also have underlying issues. My BC was hormone positive 8/8 so I wasn’t given the option of ivf as the hormones I would have had to inject may have made things worse. I’m 36 now and have to take tamoxifen for 10yrs so carrying a child isn’t really an option now. My husband and I have accepted that our only option is adoption, which I have started to look into. Make sure you ask about Ivf and fertility as my team weren’t overly forthcoming xx

Hi sissy, I also have to take tamoxifen for 10 years. We have 2 kids already, son who is 4 and our daughter is only 8 months old so this pregnancy was a very unexpected surprise. I’m now totally put off the idea of children in the future as all I can think about right now are the risks. We’re lucky we have children as obviously like yourself and other women it just can’t happen. Life can be a right bitch at times! Xxx

Cara,  so sorry to read your news x

Just thought I’d update.
Been for consultant appointment today. Now been told mine is DCIS. MRI shows a very large area (10cm by 4cm by 4cm). So booked for a mastectomy and immediate reconstruction with mesh and implant and sentinel node removal on 19th April.
I’m waiting so long for it as I want the consultant I’ve been seeing and she’s on holiday.(she did offer for her colleague to do it but I don’t like the look of him. Lol. She assures me I will be ok waiting until then.
She also thinks should hopefully be all gone with the surgery so no radio or chemotherapy which is fab.
I know it’s not over yet. But I do feel so relieved. Especially after worrying over every little symptom I’ve had.
Thank you all for your support x

Swede thats great news! Xx

That’s great news Swede :slight_smile: xx

Great  news xxxx

After the elation of yesterday. Today I am feeling so guilty. I upset my close friends and family by telling them I had cancer. And now when I read up on DCIS. It’s not always even classed as cancer. I fact my brother in law said we don’t have to worry now. Don’t get me wrong I am pleased that it’s not serious like they first said. But I can’t get over the thought that everyone thinks I have breast cancer and I don’t really. (Although it still confuses me as my surgeon still classed it as cancer) Crikey!! This guilt feeling is worse than my waiting for results. I’m going back to work whilst waiting for my mastectomy and now I don’t know whether I say I have cancer or not. Arghhh!!!

Hi - this may help, I’ve copied it from Breast Cancer Care A-Z that I saw on Twitter the other day:
Skip to main content
Home
menu
Search form
Search
Search
Home
Glossary of breast cancer terms

These definitions of medical words may help you feel better informed, whether you’ve been diagnosed with breast cancer or know someone who has.

If you can’t find what you’re looking for here, you can call our Helpline on 0808 800 6000 to talk to someone who can help.

Find out more about the topics below on our breast cancer information pages.

A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - I

J - K - L - M - N - O - P - Q - R

S - T - U - V - W - X - Y - Z

A
Abdomen Belly.

Ablation Removal of or stopping a part of the body from working by surgery or other means such as hormone therapy or radiotherapy.

Abraxane A type of chemotherapy drug used to treat breast cancer.

AC chemotherapy A combination of the chemotherapy drugs Adriamycin (also known as doxorubicin) and cyclophosphamide.

Adjuvant Treatment given in addition to other treatment, for example chemotherapy or radiotherapy given as well as surgery.

Adriamycin see Doxorubicin

Advanced breast cancer Breast cancer that has spread beyond the breast and the lymph nodes under the arm to other parts of the body. Also known as secondary, stage 4 or metastatic breast cancer.

Adverse effect An undesired or harmful effect resulting from treatment.

Alopecia Loss of hair from the head or body.

Anaemia Too few red blood cells in the body. It may cause symptoms including tiredness, shortness of breath and weakness.

Anastrozole A hormone therapy and one of a group of drugs called aromatase inhibitors. It may be known by different brand names, the most well-known being Arimidex.

Anthracyclines A group of chemotherapy drugs commonly used to treat breast cancer. Examples include doxorubicin (also known as Adriamycin) and epirubicin.

Anti-emetics Drugs used to reduce nausea (feeling sick) or vomiting.

Areola Coloured area of skin around the nipple.

Arimidex see Anastrozole

Aromasin see Exemestane

Ascites The build-up of fluid between the two layers of the peritoneum (the peritoneum is a membrane which forms the lining of the abdomen).

Avastin see Bevacizumab

Axilla Under the arm, the armpit.

Axillary clearance An operation to remove all the lymph nodes (also called lymph glands) from under the arm (axilla).

Axillary sampling An operation to remove some of the lymph nodes (also called lymph glands) from under the arm (axilla).

Axillary nodes The lymph nodes (also called lymph glands) under the arm (axilla).

B
Bevacizumab A targeted therapy, also known as Avastin. It works by stopping the cancer cells from developing their own blood supply (angiogenesis). This can help to stop the cancer from growing.

Benign Not cancer.

Bilateral Affecting or about both the right and left sides of body. For example, a bilateral mastectomy is removal of both breasts.

Biological therapies Also known as Targeted therapies.

Biopsy Removal of tissue to be looked at under a microscope.

Bisphosphonates A group of drugs used to treat the effects of secondary breast cancer in the bone. Also given to people with primary breast cancer to prevent or treat Osteoporosis or to reduce the risk of breast cancer coming back.

Blood cells Tiny structures produced in bone marrow. Includes red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets.

Blood count The numbers of red and white blood cells and platelets in a sample of blood.

Bone marrow Spongy material found in the hollow part of the bone where red and white blood cells and platelets are produced.

Bone metastases Also known as secondary breast cancer in the bone. Cancer cells that have spread from the breast to the bones.

Bone scan A test to help identify any abnormal changes, such as tumours, infection or fractures, in the bones.

Brain metastases Also known as secondary breast cancer in the brain. Cancer cells that have spread from the breast to the brain.

BRCA1 (Breast Cancer1) An altered or faulty gene passed on at birth from either parent that causes a permanent change in a person’s DNA. People who inherit an altered BRCA1 gene have a much higher risk of developing breast cancer and some other cancers compared with the general population.

BRCA2 (Breast Cancer2) An altered or faulty gene passed on at birth from either parent that causes a permanent change in a person’s DNA. People who inherit an altered BRCA2 gene have a much higher risk of developing breast cancer and some other cancers compared with the general population.

Breast calcification Areas of calcium deposit in one or both of the breasts.

Breasts Made up of lobules (milk-producing glands) and ducts (tubes that carry milk to the nipple). These are surrounded by glandular, fibrous and fatty tissue.

Breast care nurse Provides information and support to people diagnosed with breast cancer.

Breast-conserving surgery Also known as wide local excision or lumpectomy. The removal of the cancer with a margin (border) of normal breast tissue around it.

C
Cannula A small plastic tube through which drugs are given into a vein, usually in the arm or hand.

Capecitabine Also known as Xeloda. A type of chemotherapy drug taken as a tablet.

Carboplatin A chemotherapy drug sometimes used to treat breast cancer.

Carcinoma The medical term for cancer.

Cardiotoxicity Damage to the heart muscle causing the heart to become weaker and less efficient. May be caused by some chemotherapy and targeted therapy drugs.

Cells Tiny structures found in all living organisms.

Cell proliferation An increase in the number of cells as a result of them multiplying and growing.

Cellulitis An infection of the skin and tissue beneath the skin. People who have lymphoedema have an increased risk of cellulitis in the arm or chest area.

Chemotherapy Treatment aimed at destroying cancer cells using anti-cancer drugs, which are also called cytotoxic drugs.

Chest wall Skin, muscles and bones that make up the area of the body between the neck and the abdomen.

Chronic An illness, disease or condition that is long lasting and generally slow to progress.

CISH (chromogenic in situ hybridization) A way of measuring HER2 levels in cancer cells.

Cisplatin A chemotherapy drug sometimes used to treat breast cancer.

Clinical trials Research that aims to improve treatment or care for patients.

CMF A combination of three chemotherapy drugs – cyclophosphamide, methotrexate and 5-fluorouracil (5FU).

Complementary therapies A varied group of therapies used alongside conventional medical treatments.

Contralateral The other or opposite side, for example the contralateral breast.

Cording (also known as axillary web syndrome) Tight ‘cords’ of tissue, stretching down the inside of the arm, which can occur after surgery to remove lymph nodes under the arm. Causes pain and restricts arm movement. Sometimes cords can be felt in the chest area too.

Core biopsy Biopsy using a hollow needle to take a sample(s) of tissue for analysis under a microscope.

CT (computerised tomography) scan Also known as a CAT scan. A type of scan that uses x-rays to take detailed pictures across the body.

CyberKnife see Stereotactic radiotherapy

Cyclophosphomide A chemotherapy drug used to treat breast cancer.

D
DCIS (ductal carcinoma in situ) An early type of breast cancer where the cells have not yet developed the ability to spread outside the walls of the ducts into surrounding breast tissue or to other parts of the body. Sometimes called pre-invasive, intraductal or non-invasive cancer.

• See more at: breastcancercare.org.uk/information-support-glossary#D
    Don’t feel guilty - it’s a big deal, you’re having a mastectomy, not a tooth out! I think maybe your brother in law would be feeling differently if it were your sister, and maybe his comment was relief.
    Hope this makes you feel a little better :slight_smile:
    Kim xxx

Oops - copied more than I thought !!