Diagnosed today at 26 years old

Hello, I’m really new to all this. I got my diagnosis today and I’m only 26 so it’s not really sunk in yet. It’s really early to have caught it although I still have a mammogram and an MRI scan to go. It’s grade 2 ducal cancer, but I don’t know much more at this stage. They’ve booked me in for a lumpectomy on the 17th April and I will have radiotherapy after that. Depending on my results from the mammogram and MRI that may be changed. I’m also going to have genetic testing because of my age and because my mum had breast cancer 3 years ago Although her cancer was post menopausal.
I think the hardest thing I’ve come to learn today is that I can’t have children so long as I’m on tamoxifen And is going to be for at least 5 years. I don’t have any children and me and my husband were going to start trying for a baby this year.
there’s a few things I’d like to know from others in this situation…how did you come to terms with the fact you have cancer? I don’t feel unwell so in a respect don’t really believe I’ve got breast cancer.
Also, has anyone had genetic testing or has anyone had genetic results show a mutated brca gene? I can’t even imagine how I will take that in if it comes back positive.

Any advice or experiences would be great hear.

thanks, Esther

Hi there Esther

Firstly welcome to the discussion forums, I am sure you will find lots of support and information here.

Whilst you’re waiting for others to come along and share their experiences, I thought you might like to order one of our Resources Packs, they’re filled with information to help you understand your diagnosis. Here’s the link to the page where it can be ordered:

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early-breast-cancer-bcc145

Also, if you have an questions or just need to talk to someone, do call our Helpline, they’re open Weekdays 9-5 and Saturday 10-2 on 0808 800 6000.

Best wishes.

Louise, Facilitator

Hi Esther

I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis at such a young age. There are a lot of younger ladies on here, and a lot are having to put off having a family for the same reasons as you. Here is a link to a thread for younger women that you might like to look at: Search Results | Breast Cancer Now
Good luck for your tests and treatment.
Sending big hugs and best wishes
Poemsgalore.

Hi Esther, I’m so sorry to hear about your diagnosis today. You must be in a right state to tonight. I remember in March 2010, when I was diagnosed aged 36, that the first night at home aft I got the news was horrific, panic attacks and total shock. It does get easier to deal with, but it’s so hard where you are now and I wanted to send you a big cyber hug xxxx

There is a lot of support on this site, i used it cinstantly through my treatment and found it indispensable. I also set up a Facebook group in October for younger women who had had a breast cancer diagnosis, so we could network, talk in private and meet with others in the same position as ourselves. It’s been hugely successful and we have 330 members, all of whom are younger women with a breast cancer diagnosis. You would be very very welcome to come and chat with us, there are lots of ladies in their 20s, 30s and early/mid 40s, and there are ladies younger than you are now too. There is a thread here in the younger women’s section which explains it. We are called the Younger Breast Cancer Network (UK). the link is in the other thread, I’ll bump it up for you.

Be kind to yourself tonight and over the next few weeks particularly, this is the most rubbishest bit :frowning:

Vickie
Xxx

Hi Ester, sorry to hear about your diagnosis. My sister was 29 years old when she had hers diagnosed ( 4 weeks before she got married). She had a brilliant surgeon who got her lumpectomy and lymph nodes done before the wedding. She had chemo and radiotherapy. She will be 12 years survival in August this year. And she also has a daughter who will be 4 in june. I on the other hand was diagnosed 2 years ago at the age of 52. I had 2 ops as they test some lymph nodes now (not like when my sister had her op, they took them all out back then), chemo and radio and herceptin. I just want to say good luck for what you are going through, sending you hugs xx
Jane xx

Thank you for all your comments. Had my first cry this morning and it wasn’t helped by a rubbish nights sleep. I’m going to treat myself to some fun in the snow today. My family and friends have been fantastic in supporting me and hearing your positive stories is just what I need.

Thanks, Esther

Hi Esther,
i’m so sorry to about your diagnosis. and i understand -i was diagnosed last month and i’m 32 and newly married and like you was just beginning to think about having a baby. As am grade 1 i pushed for a referral to the fertility team in order to talk about egg harvesting. i’m waiting to hear back from the team regarding fertility levels so haven’t started down that route completely yet. i had a lumpectomy and lymph node removal last week - i opted for surgery first so that i could explore the egg harvesting without delaying treatment.
not sure whether this helps or not - but please feel free to message me on this or via the private message option if you’d like to chat.
the shock and heartache does get easier and then you’ll find your fight!
take care and all the best
Netty x

Esther-That’s really awful news…but there is hope. My sister was diagnosed in her early 30’s. She had chemo, radiotherapy and took Tamoxifen. She decided to take it for only 2 years as she wanted another child. She had a 2nd daughter 10 years ago (after treatment). She had a very aggressive tumour and had several lymph nodes involved. She has had no recurrance in 14 years since diagnosis.

Although it is pretty rubbish having to deal with this damn disease at your age, I am confident that you will get it through it with the love and support of your family, friends and medical team. Try your best to stay as active and well as you can and be kind to yourself. This forum will help you no end, there are some superb people on here believe me.
I will be keeping you in my prayers too cos you are the same age as my youngest daughter. Lots of love and hugs Esther.
suzanne x x

Thanks Netty, it’s a shock to the system isn’t it. I have to see the fertility clinic but I’m not booked in yet. I’m not sure if I want to look at egg harvesting yet. In honesty I’m not sure where my head is at with it. I’ve got to have tamoxifen for 5 years and depending what comes back maybe even longer.

Maire, it’s so good to hear positive stories like your sisters. I’m so gutted that i was so close to being a mum and even seeing a pushchair me sad today.

Suzanne, you’re completely right I know my family and friends will support me and I know the medical team from my mum having her diagnosis 3 years ago. They were brilliant. I know I’m young to have it, but on the positive side it’s so early to catch it. I have a plan so I’m trying to stay positive.

Thanks everyone :slight_smile:

Esther