Diagnosed with breast cancer 2 days ago

Diagnosed with breast cancer 2 days ago

Diagnosed with breast cancer 2 days ago I got the dreaded news 2 days ago i have breast cancer, i am 36 and now the shock is wearing off and reality is kicking in, they told me they are going to treat me with chemo 1st between 6-8 doses and then surgery , i have a lump under my arm and there is a possibility the cancer is in my lymph nodes also, i am seeing the consultant a week on friday and he will discuss my treatment with me, the waiting is the worst thing .I am now feeling bit scared and apprehensive any tips and help, support etc is most welcome as my positivity is a bit shaly today .
galen x

Sorry you had bad news. You will get lots of support from this site I did. I found it to be the worst time, when first diagnosed. Most people say they start to feel better once treatment begins and I certainly found it so. It is a scary time but I think you will deal with it as time goes on thinking of you Love Eileen

I agree with Eileen, this is the worst time and you may find once you know more and treatment starts its a bit {not much] less frightening.
Its a very scary time and I’m sure you will get lots of support on here.

love and best wishes
Linda

I am sorry that you have had to join us on this site but the members on here will provide you with lots of support from their own experiences.

You are bound to feel very apprehensive at the moment and may find some things easier to deal with once you know more about exactly what treatment is being recommended. If possible, you need to take someone with you when you see the consultant to take notes as I found I didn’t take it all in at the time.

We all deal with this in different ways but I have found being open with family, friends, work colleagues etc very helpful, myself, and you may wish to ask for peer support from Breast Cancer Care.

There is a lot of information on this site and also other cancer support groups, which can help you prepare for seeing your consultant, as I found the terminology used can be quite daunting.

All the very best

Anne

Galen - welcome to the forum but I am so very sorry you are here.
Make a list of all the questions you want to ask - doesn’t matter how trivial you think they are - before you see your consultant as it is difficult to remember things clearly at times like this. Maybe take a friend with you. Good Luck and do let us know how things go.

Hi Hi Galen,

sorry you’ve had to find yourself here, but I’ve no doubt you will find the support this site offers is second to none. I was 34 when diagnosed in march and I’m still not sure that the reality has set in for me! It still all feels quite surreal at times. Unlike you I had the op first. I am now having chemo til oct then its rads then hormones.

As the other ladies have said, this is most definately the worst time. Particularly having to tell family and friends. I got all manner of responses, particularly as most people thought my news was either that we were getting married or having a baby! One of my very best friends even put the phone down on me when I rang her and told her. Thankfully she called straight back!!!

You have no doubt experienced a full range of emotions over this past few days. I found that this settled more as soon as I started treatment. I began to think ‘right. I’ve got this awful disease, now lets get rid of it’. Starting treatment was strangely empowering and it felt like I was taking control back rather than the cancer controlling me.

I wish you well for your appt next fri. Please let us know how you get on. In the meantime, you know where we are if you need us,

Take care,

Kelly
-x-

Hello Galen. I’m sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

I would advise you to write down a list of all the questions you have for the consultant - keep it with you for the next few days and add to it as you think of questions and then take it with you to your appointment. I was diagnosed last December but am still writing lists for every time I see a doctor or nurse. If I don’t do that then I always think of something I forgot to ask while I’m on the way home !

You will find that this site is a marvellous source of information and support .
I agree that the waiting is the worst thing - we’ve all been there and we understand.

Thinking of you.
Love Anthi

Hi Galen,

Your situation sounds similar to mine and where I was at a couple of weeks ago.

When you see your doc you will probably be scheduled for various other scans, which look at whether it has spread any further. I had a chest xray, liver ultrasound, breast MRI and Bone scan and it was a bit stressful waiting for the results, to be honest. Hopefully yours will be clear too.

I think you need to try and keep your social calendar busy so you don’t dwell on things. I started chemo today which was kind of scary but now the combat manoeuvres have begun I feel much better. (I could have done without the fire alarm and evacuation during, however)

Good luck for the rest of the treatment

mousy

reply Hi Galen
Sorry you had to join the forum. I agree that once the initial shock has started to wear off that the waiting is the worst part.

Please believe that once you find out what treatment you are having you feel as if you are beginning to move forward in the right direction.

It is very hard at the beginning as your emotions are all over the place, and you will feel apprehensive and scared. We’ve all had our non positive days.

I agree with everything the previous messages have said. The site is a great support and has lots of information and inspiration, especially when you need some questions answered.

Please let us know how you get on.

Take care and love
Thistle

Galen - forgot to say don’t be surprised at the reaction of friends and family as I was. I have come to realise that some people just cannot deal with it whatever their profession and may appear to be unsympathetic or unfriendly but it is just that they cannot and do not know what to say or do.

Hi

Am really sorry to hear your news, this site has been amazing to me and im sure everyone will give you loads of support. Good luck with the chemo and keep us posted on your treatment.

Take care
Love
Little1

Hi Galen
I am also recently diagnosed - got called in today for urgent check of lymph nodes following MRI - all clear, but cannot be certain 'til surgery. Like you I am also awaiting my consultant meeting next week to find out the ‘action plan’. I think once we have a plan it will be easier, the waiting and the unknown is much much worse…keep busy and try to do ‘normal’ things if you can it really helps. If you feel rubbish just have a good moan and cry then you honestly will feel much better. I found out today that whatever happens I will def need a mastectomy - i came home told hubby to go away and had a bath and cried and sobbed and shouted - felt so much better for it!!! You must believe you can beat it and you can…my friend brought me a cancer fighting hamper today…she is a bit nuts, but anything helps. It had blueberries, beetroot juice and red clover, all supposed to be good for you! I’d give anything a try to be honest!
Take care - you will be OK, be strong.
Hugs from Bestie
x

Thank You for your support Hi Kelly
Thank you so much for your kind message , i feel a bit stronger today knowing i can contact people in similar situations and support each other, i am struggling a little with the terminology people are using ! but im sure once i know my treatments i will have a better understanding !! i really hope you are going on ok today , i will let you know how i get on
Take Care
Galen X

HI Galan
Sorry to hear your news, I have found great comfort from this site though i usually read it not write as i am not good with words. I am 37 with 2 girls 7 & 11 and they have been a great strength to me, you find you have to act normal and this can help. I was dx 10 days after my wedding which had been a wonderful weekend and i felt i couldnt be happier.
The whole this is such an emotional rollercoaster one minute up the next down the waiting is hard, but you just have to think positive. I also had the lump under my arm which was what i found , I had not noticd the one in my breast. I had a mastectomy and full axillary clearance the nodes were infected 7/20. I have had ct and bone scan which are clear so no further spread.
You will find once you know the treatment you are having you start to think lets get on with it.
When i told my children the younger one didnt understand but my 11 year old took it rather badly, this was my turning point i knew i had to get better. I have now started chemo and the girls are aware of the side effects my youngest spoke to her friend after my first chemo saying mums a bit sick but shes not bald yet.
I have a very suportive family which i am sure you do, my mum had bc at 39 and now 25years on is my great support.
There is life after bc my mums proved that good luck with your treatment.
love Rachel

Thinking of you Hi Galen

I am 36 like you, and it is a terrible diagnosis to be given at this age (or indeed any other age). You will get through this, and you will get a lot of support from this site and other sites (bcpals). We are all here to give you advice and prop you up if you are feeling down.

Love
Fuschia

Hi Galen,

I am sorry you have to join us. I am sure you will be less scared once treatment starts - I did - many of us do - the time also passes quickly - I am over treatment now - have gone back to work and have resumed my life - my outlook has changed no doubt - but on a practical day to day way life is back to normal now - in less than a year for me.

If we have to endure a cancer this is the one of the ones with positive outcome and successful treatment.

I found it useful to know as much as I could about the disease and the treatments etc and the medics aren’t always that forthcoming with the information and so be prepared to ask if you do want the details.

Best of luck with the treatment and keep us posted of your progression.

Chloe x

Hi Everybody
Thank you for your messages of support, i will keep you posted as this week unfolds !!!
love galen

I MY SELF IS 36 I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH BC I HAD SURGERY ON 20TH JUNE THE LUMPS IN MY BREAST WERE REMOVED 19 LYMPH GLANDS WERE REMOVED 3 HAD TUMOUR THE TISSUE AROUND THEM DIDNT SHOW A CLEAR MARGIN SO IM BACK IN ON THE 10TH AUGUST FOR A MASTECTOMY. I HAVE FOUR GIRLS AND I KEEP WORRY ABOUT THEM BUT THEY ARE ACTUALLY KEEPING ME GOING AND MY HUSBAND HAS BEEN SUPPORTIVE . MY MUM HAD BREAST CANCER NEARLY FOUR YEARS AGO AND WILL HOPEFULLY GET THE ALL CLEAR SHORTLY, SO I HAVE A ROUGH IDEA WHAT IM GOING TO BE GOING THROUGH FOR A WHILE BUT SHE IS MY ROCK AND MY FAMILY HAVE BEEN GREAT WITH THEIR SUPPORT AND HELPING ME WITH THE GIRLS WHEN I HAVE A BAD DAY. POSITIVE THINKING I KNOW ITS EASILY SAID THEN DONE BUT WISH WELL . TRACEY