diagnosed with grade 3 invasive DCI and other DCIS like small grains of rice in a cluster.

Hello I was diagnosed 4 weeks ago with grade 3 invasive DCI and a cluster of about 20 small flexs of cancer, so was offered a mastecomy, DIEP reconstruction and reduction on other breast.

I have since had a sentinel biopsy and the nodes came back clear 2 weeks ago.

I have the complexation of a leg wound that is open and not recovered and infected.  On seeing the anaesthist and plastic surgeon last week they decided to cancel operation.  Mastecomy only at original hospital.  On seeing my surgeon he offered for me to have a second plastic surgeon opinion, but this will take a few weeks, and in both our opionions we know that we have a very good plastic surgeon and that is why he recommended me to him in the first place.

I was told that i could have reconstruction delayed but it would be at least a year and reading through comments and my own research as shown because its not a life threatening procedure immediate reconstructions come first, and i know from others that they have been cancelled several times because they are classed as non urgent operations.

My surgeon has offered to put me on tamoxifen as a safeguard, wait a few months for the leg to heal, then the plastic surgeon will operate within 4 weeks of that date,  if not I can have a mastecomy next week.     I am going through so many emotions and its been a rollercoaster, I want the cancer out, and if i had a mastecomy I know that I would always be disappointed in not having a reconstruction.   I know I will have life.  But it will be hard to go back next year and then take six months then to recover.
I have both breasts that are really painful at the moment, and feel in my head that there is something wrong with the good one (I know this goes through lots of people heads) the pain is bad though.
I did stop taking HRT last month, so I hope it hormonal.

I am going back to see the surgeon tomorrow, who will check my breast again, but they wont offer a double mastecomy, or any more mammograms.

Its such a shame that the leg hasnt healed but this was here a few weeks before being diagnosed and I had told every one about it at every opportunity, it was only when i came in for the final screening after lymph nodes taken out, that I saw the anaesteist who said i should see the plastic surgeon has he isnt going to like my leg.   Otherwise I would have been having the op on 1st or april.

I am seeing a wound specialist on friday but need to make the decision about the mastecomny before that.

I keep swinging one way and another, everyone I speak to says get the cancer out now, I am worried and scared, but if i can wait for a few months I can have everything done and dusted, even though that is not always certain.

I am not a fit as  I can be, because of the leg, and my BMI, its a big op, but if I put my head on straight I can do it, its just that its been a rollercoaster and life is crap at the moment.

Sorry for such a long first post.



Hi patricia4

Welcome to the BCC forums, it sounds like you’re going through a really tough time at the moment.  I’m sure some of the other users will be a long soon to offer your their experiences and support.

In the meantime you might find it helpful to order the BCC resources pack.  It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you have a bestter understanding of your diagnosis, test results and treatments available. If you sould like to order a copy just follow the link below:-

Also, if you want to talk things through do give the helpline a call on 0808 800 6000.  Here you can share all your concerns with someoen who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information.  Lines are open weekdays 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Saw my consultant who ensures me that im on the right path, will scan again in a month to see if anychanges, if tamoxifen hasnt helped then mastecomy route.






I now think i might have a dvt, on clixsane, seeing dvt clinic on monday.

I also now have terrible leg and knee pain, can this be dvt or just the tamoxifen side effects. The knee feels like a ligament tear.


I am so worried, need to chat with someone, as alltough family arewonderful they dont understand the fears.