diagnosed yesterday 3/6/15

well that was a shocker .routine mamogram recall and now i have breast cancer.to think i nearly didnt go for my mamogram,it was one of those cant be bothered days.my hubby(also has had bladder cancer) said i made him go to all his appointments so i had to go.good job i did eh,who knows what state id be in 3 years down the line.as it is the lump is small and the outcome looks to be good.lumpectomy on the 29th yes im scared of the opp.found myself more worried about others being upset by my diagnosis than being upset myself.would be good to hear from others who have been through this,just to compare feelings etc, xxx thanx girls xx

Hello Fallenangel64

Welcome to the forums.  I’m sorry to hear of your diagnosis, the first few weeks are always difficult when coming to terms with your diagnosis and treatment.
As well as the support you will receive on the forums you might find it helpful to order the BCC resources pack. It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like to order a copy just follow the link bellow:-

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early-breast-cancer-bcc145

You may also like to talk things through with one of the helpline staff, they are there to offer emotional support as well as provide information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Hi. I’ve just been diagnosed too. Op 22nd June. Irony is my husband has just received all clear after 8 years of bladder cancer! Thought we’d had ‘our bit’ but hey ho…now my turn for some tlc.x

Hi Fallen angel 64. I went through exact scenario as you one week before Christmas. Recall following routine screening and told by very sweet radiologist that I had 2 highly suspicious areas virtually certain to be cancer and would have to have mastectomy. I was in shock to say the least. I had surgery mid January and snb. One lymph node had micromet so had to have further lymph nodes removed 4 weeks later. Luckily all clear so no chemo. It is a horrible shock to the system but you get through it. I had 14 mm grade 2 invasive and am now on 5 years of letrozole.  Like you I nearly didn’t go to my screening appointment. Telling people was tough especially my kids even though they are grown ups and my heart was thumping when I thought about telling them let alone actually doing it. They were really supportive. I only told people on a need to know basis and my very elderly mother in law was told only because my partner couldn’t visit her for a couple of weeks.    I had no pain at all following surgery. I was incredibly anxious before both ops, shaking and holding back tears in the anaesthetic room but they gave me a shot of diazepam and I stopped caring, floated off and woke up feeling fine.  Tell people if you are suffering with anxiety because you can get help and there,s no shame in asking.   Three and a half months after surgery I am feeling fine and enjoying life.  I know this must be a tough time for you but it has been caught small which can only be good. I wish you all the best x

Sorry to welcome to you to this horrible club.I was diagnosed a week ago after routine mammogram ,like being hit over the head with a mallet and punched in the stomach at the same time.I had no lump ,no symptoms.feeling calmer after a week and have got a lot of support and reassurance from people on this forum.There are a couple of threads going were people who have been recently diagnosed are talking if you want to join us.Hard for anyone not going through it or having been through it to understand.

Hi fallenangel - I had your shocker as well! Isn’t it amazing how many of us get told you have breast cancer without knowing anything is wrong. The 29th will seem like an awful long time away but there are lots of us here for you to vent you feelings and to help support you x hugs x

I found it doesn’t really feel like it’s happening to me.Wake up thinking there must be some mistake.

I was also diagnosed after call back from my first routine mammogram, between Xmas and New Year! Quite expected the all clear then told DCIS in two places (although as it turned out quite a bit more) so mx left side and I chose to have reconstruction at same time. Sentinel node removed but clear so on tamoxifen for five years , few side effects so far! Back at work and getting used to my fake boob although it still feels weird and probably always will! I like you was so relieved they caught it early! Good luck with your surgery ! Xx

Had a rough day yesterday suppose its all part of coming to terms with things. One min im fine next really low.i doubt there’s a particular way to behave. Hopefully the head mash will pass . still scared of the opp.guess everyone is.need to perk up xx

Hope you feel better today I had a rough one too, but today not so bad so far …it comes and goes .

I find this forum somewhere I can run to when things get too much . Just a word from someone takes away the loneliness.the fear and the sadness. Thank you everyone for your support. I hope to be here for you all too . Take care out there xx

Hey you are not the only one that feels that way!We will get through it.Saw my GP for first time today since diagnosis he said very good outcomes for breast cancers now, more likely to get run over by bus if caught early here’s hoping…

I woke feeling positive this morning sun is shining ,
lovely day,hope the feeling lasts a little while, feeling anxious and sad is exhausting

Hi Blondie ,welcome to this rubbish club!Scary times indeed.I have my op booked for 24 the but have to have ECG as having palpitations ,probably anxiety ,
hoping it won’t delay things as just want to get on with it now.Jill.

Yes horrible not being on control isn’t it.I have appt with surgeon 9.15 tomorrow .

I can puke on demand too!

Jill I had the most horrendous palpitations and felt I could barely breathe at times, I had to take Diazapan along with an antidepressant just to cope through each day, it’s all due to the stress, I would wake feeling ok then it would hit me and the palpitations would over whelm me to the point of almost having a full blown panic attack at the thought of just getting out of bed, thankfully we had a 4 month old puppy so I had to get up! It’s all part of the process and I started to feel more in control and mentally more stable the more information I got, op day was my turning point and although it wasn’t nice waiting on the results just the thought that the "b*****d had been removed was a great feeling xx Jo

Thanks Jo , you are always a calming influence!

Seems to be minimum of 8 days to up to 2 weeks from the people I have talked to here.

Can I borrow him ?!!!Sounds like a star!We are both still in shock I think.