Diagnosed yesterday and feeling overwhelmed

I joined this site today as I feel very scared and overwhelmed by my diagnosis yesterday. I was told I have a grade three DCIS that is invasive - it’s small 1.4 mm and it’s been caught early. I am waiting on my inpatient date to have it removed and to have a test on my lymphs. The last couple of weeks have been a blur - I feel lucky as i have been seen quickly -last week was the mammogram, scans and biopsies and here I am now aged 42 with cancer -it’s really bloody scary. Every twinge and feeling I’m scared it’s spreading - I know it’s normal to feel scared but I just can’t stop crying. I told my three sons last night - that was the most awful thing I have ever had to tell them. It made me feel more scared.
I have read a few links on here and know there are many women feeling the same as I do right now and knowing there is support is comforting. Has anyone here gone to support groups?

Hi lupin1172

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums, you’ve come to the right place for some good, honest support from the many informed users of this site who I am sure will be along soon to offer their support.

In the meantime please could I suggest that you give our helpline team a ring, they’re here to support you through this both emotionally and practically.  Calls are free 0808 800 6000 lines open now until 5pm (weekdays 9-5) and Saturdays 10-2.

Take care

Jo, Moderator

Hi Lupin.

Think every one of us who are unfortunate enough to need this site can relate to your feelings right now. The initial diagnosis and waiting for results/treatment to start is the worst part of the whole journey. My advice would be to give in to whatever you feel like doing at the mo, the main thing is to focus on YOU for the next wee while. I know you’ll have read this on the site, but it truly is so much better when you have your treatment plan in place. Be kind to yourself till then. Sending big hugs. Ann x

Hi lupin1172
im 36 and recently diagnosed to and know exactly how youre feeling.
I am overwhelmed with the fear of it all. The lovely ladies on here are a great support and have very helpful advice. Im always looking for insiration and positive ways to deal with this.
i had chest xray and CT scan yesterday. I have an MRI to go on saturday. I actually broke down having these test done even though theyre not painful. Dredding the outcome. Like you im worried its spread with every twinge i get.
Im also seeing the oncologist tomorrow and dont know what to expect so if anyone knows or can talk me down out of my state of panic, it would be a great help. Im not handling this well at all.
All i will say is dont do the googling. Like a lovely lady said to me on here, some of the info is out of date, its full of horror stories and your doctor or nurse would know better. Also look to the women on here with first hand experience and knowledge.
They say once a treatment plan is in place you will feel more in control and positive. Im just going down that road and im praying i do feel better then what i do now.
lots of love
jo x

Hi, I am also 42 was first diagnosed with dcis high grade and lumpectomy. But they found 6mm of cancer, I needed another op to gain a clear margin plus Lymths tested. Thankfully they were clear but until you hear that it’s so worrying and no matter how much people around you try to convince you otherwise. I am currently 1/2 way through Rads on the impact high trial (15 sessions in all) a bit tired but skin is holding up pretty well and going to work 1/2days. I know it’s hard but be positive it was early, I cry for no reason now and again and feel so scared at times but I am getting there slowly. Not sure how you can message me direct but please feel free to.

I found talking to a counsellor comfort, and also keep positive people around you and disregard negotive people. One thing I have found over the last few months is that things that were once important and no longer relevant and look after yourself.

Hi ladies, so sorry you are having to be here :frowning:

With regards to support, if you are on Facebook there is an amazing group on there for people under 45 with BC, they have really helped since my diagnosis a month ago. Search for Younger Breast Cancer Network and send them a message to be added to the secret group. Xx