diagnoses with Dcis yesterday

I’m a 30yr old Mum of one who found a lump at Xmas and after 2 trips to Hospital just got diagnosed with dcis.had secondary biospys taken and one of lymph glands too as slightly swollen and my mother has recently been diagnosed with leukemia.results should be back in a week or so and then treatment options can be planned.anyone else gone throu or going through Davis give me any heads up.mother on law is determined a parasitic screening program and change of diet etain lots of health potions is the answer but I’m not so convinced and will probably opt for the more conventional op and radiotherapy option.any advice is greatly appreciated,thanks in advance Laura x

Hi Laura,

I’m sorry you find yourself here. Its a place none of us wants to be, but a brilliant place to find support, tips and advice from people who are going through the same thing.

This is the worst possible time for you, waiting for results and teatment. There is nothing you can do, you can’t change things, so between now and your results appointment all you can do is look after yourself, pamper yourself, eat chocolate if you want, and try a bit of retail therapy. We have all been there. Once you know exactly what you are dealing with, and your consultant discusses the recommended treatment, you will start to regain some control and will feel much better. I am amazed your mother-in-law is saying these things to you! If only a healthy diet and health potions would make cancer go away!!! Listen to your consultant when you see him. He is the expert.

Good luck xxx

Thanks Lola.I was on my own at the hospital when I got first results and remarkable held myself together pretty well,suppose it’s because of my baby.the rest of the day was horrid.by yesterday and today so far I haven’t cried or got upset.feel kinda calm but expect the emotions will bubble up soon.the docs are seemingly to move things quite quickly so hoping after the next results I’ll start treatment fairly soon.can I ask if you’ve had it and what treatment you had?x

Hi Laura,

My lump was found on a routine 3-yearly mammogram. I had a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy followed by a cavity shave to obtain wider margins. None of this was too unpleasant or painful - all done and dusted and back home within a few hours. My tumour was a grade 3 invasive ductal cancer, 15mm, hormone negative but HER2 positive, no lymph nodes affected, no evidence of vascular invasion, some DCIS surrounding the invasive tumour.

Because I am HER2 positive (an aggressive type) I need Herceptin infusions for 12 months, and this is only licenced for use in primary breast cancer if given alongside chemotherapy. So I am now having chemo and Herceptin once every 3 weeks. I am on day 19 of my first cycle, with 5 more cycles to go, followed by another 12 cycles of Herceptin and 3 weeks of radiotherapy at some point.

Everyone’s diagnosis is different, and likewise everyone’s treatment plans are different as they are tailored to suit each individual. If you have DCIS without any other type lurking there, your treatment will be completely different from mine.

I strongly recommend you take someone with you when you go to your next appointment. Not only for emotional support, but also as an extra pair of ears. I say this because no matter how hard you try, most of what is said to you will go in one ear and out the other. If you like to be in control of your own situation and know all the details, I also suggest you ask for and make sure you get a copy of the path report. You are entitled to this. Many of us on here have found the medics are prone to filtering the information and not telling us everything as they tend to dumb everything down to the dumbest level.

I wish you the best of luck xxx

Hobbittoes-I was diagnosed wth dcis several years ago. It was a shock and it takes a wee while to come to terms with but the good news is that as far as you know at this stage there is no invasion so in all likelihood it won’t have spread but you won’t know for sure until the lump is removed and can be fully examined. I would certainly opt for radiotherapy in your situation but it would do no harm to look at diet/exercise etc to improve your odds. It will help you to feel you are taking positive steps and feel more in control. Good luck.

Hi like yourself I’m 32 and was diagnosed with dcis 3 weeks ago I have just had my mastectomy and await my results. I have small breasts so a lumpectomy would not have worked.
i was home after 1 nights stay in hospital and I’m trying to think positively. I too went alone on my first appointment stupidly you think your too youBleep keep us up to date with how you get on