DIEP Reconstruction Pain A Few Years After Surgery

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help? I had a mastectomy with DIEP reconstruction four years ago and for the last couple of days I have been experiencing a sharp pain, it feels like a nerve pain, which is really uncomfortable in my ‘numb’ reconstructed breast, the pain is deep inside the breast and is also painful to touch, just in one particular area, (even though I can’t feel the touch it triggers off the pain inside). I’ve not experienced this before. It may be just a coincidence but this week I have been looking after my sisters dog and have been walking her, but holding the lead in my right hand which is the opposite side to the reconstruction, she doesn’t pull too much and it doesn’t feel like muscle pain - I’m worried I might have done some internal damage, but at the same time I thought the surgery was hardy and was told not to be concerned about doing everyday things - has anyone else experienced this pain a few years after a DIEP reconstruction?x

Hi Roz54,

I am sorry to hear you’ve been experiencing pain and I am sure some of our users will be along to share their experiences with DIEP reconstruction pain and show their support soon. 

In the meantime you can always post on our Ask the Nurse board or call our helpline on 0808 800 6000, who will be able to talk you through any questions you have and offer a friendly ear. The opening hours are below:

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Wednesday, 9am-7pm
Saturday, 9am-1pm

Best wishes, 

Bonita 

<Empty imported post>

Hi Roz,

have no definite answer as havent had that op, but did research tt some years ago …

my guess is you might possibly have pulled a muscle which jarred a nerve…I would definitely ask a bcn who has experience with this op.  Or even ring your surgeons pa, to leave a message about your query…they will be able to pass on your concerns and let you know if this is a normal occurence.

logically, lots of nerves must have been cut or bruised during that op, so scar tissue Could be tugging on one or  something.  

The rule I follow, is: watch, wait, for a few days or a week…then if its still pretty constant, get advice…

often things go away…but do get advice if not xx

Love and hugs,

Mojan???