Do many ladies going through chemo need antidepressants?

Hi all,
I am on day 7 of my first fec treatment & although I have been down since my diagnosis I seem to have completely crashed as low as I have ever been in my life in the past two days. I have been prescribed anti depressants which I still haven’t started yet as not sure whether I should or not even though I cannot see any light at the end of a very long tunnel. Does anyone else feel like this or is it just me?

Hi Bella,

I’m sorry you are feeling so low at the moment.  Things do improve slowly - just take each small step at a time.  I was prescribed AD’s  not just because of the FEC but lots of things in my life came crashing down  and I couldn’t cope.  I was dead against them but they have made a huge difference - as long as they don’t interract badly with the FEC I would say try them.   

Try ringing the helpline if you are feeling low - they are very good and most of the ladies have been through BC so know what you are feeling.

cheers

Caroline x

Hi all, I have now started taking fluoxetine antidepressants as my mental state is just goin downhill. It is reassuring that others have found them to be a help so I will await the next couple of weeks to see if there is any improvement.