Early Herceptin Increases SURVIVAL 34%

Early Herceptin Increases SURVIVAL 34%

Early Herceptin Increases SURVIVAL 34% This is what herceptin’s manufacture said about an ASCO presentation on HERA. It matters because one of the things that was seen as endangering NICE approval was that HERA, as of last year, had not demonstrated improved survival. I don’t know, though, whether NICE considers things that are unpublished.

“New 23-month follow-up data from HERA, one of the largest breast cancer trials ever carried out, show that Herceptin (trastuzumab) following standard chemotherapy significantly reduced the risk of death by 34% for women with early-stage HER2-positive breast cancer.”

roche.com/med-cor-2006-06-03

I should point out that this improved survival means that someone with a fifty per cent chance of survival without herceptin would be up to 67%, not 84% (50%+34%). It is a per cent of the original survival chance, not percentage points, that are added.

Thank you for posting this Christine

Hopefully the data will have been submitted by Roche to the NICE appraisal, but ? will it be used.

I have been told that something from NICE re the Herceptin appraisal is expected to be released tomorrow. The Sun ran a story along these lines yesterday thesun.co.uk/article/0,2-2006260288,00.html

And similar tale in The Independant today news.independent.co.uk/uk/health_medical/article717527.ece