EC then T, or FEC then T

Hi,

My wife will start chemo in a couple of weeks after having Mx and ANC nearly 3 weeks ago. The oncologist has prescribed Epirubicin and Cyclophosphamide for 4 cycles, followed by Taxotere for 4 cycles.

I notice that it seems a lot more common for people with a similar diagnosis (hers is: IDC 25mm, grade 3, Er+, Pr+, HER2+, 2/14 nodes) to be given FEC->T, which I understand is the same, but with Fluorouracil added to the first phase.

I have found out basically what Flourouracil does (though not in detail), but I couldn’t find anything on the factors for deciding between EC->T and FEC->T treatments.

Has anyone else found information on this, and has anyone else here been put on the EC->T regimen? I am not desperately worried, but I do want the absolute best for her if possible.

Thank you and good luck to all.

Hi Jansman,

If you give the helpline a ring the staff here should be able to explain a little more about this for you. Calls to the helpline are free, 0808 800 6000 open M-F 9-5 and Sat 9-2.

Kind regards,
Jo, Facilitator

Thank you Jo.

Wow, they are so nice and helpful - it really is a fantastic organization you are working in.

There was not a definitive answer, so I will try to ask the oncologist if I get chance.

So many questions arise after the consultation and I just wish I had known more beforehand. I did find an excellent table of chemo treatments on Wikipedia at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Intracellular_chemotherapeutic_agents which explains a lot, but it did just make me wonder even more because F works in a very different way to E and C.

In any case, thank you again for responding so quickly and thanks to the help line.

Hi Jansman - I’ve just finished 4 EC, 4 TAX. Don’t know about the relationship between diagnosis and the type of drugs. I believe that this regime is the most ‘modern’. I was given the chemo first as I had a large lump and I could actually feel the lump shrink. So the drugs do do the trick. I’m having a mastectomy and full node clearance on 14th Aug. So I don’t know if / how many nodes are affected, will have to wait for results after op, plus the bc is negative for Pr, Er and HER.

Thank you RhodaBee, it’s good to hear of definite results.

I will keep searching when I can, but I don’t think it makes a massive difference in practice.

I hope the operation goes OK, and good luck with the path report. I will keep everything crossed for you.