Euthanasia

I just don’t understand… …why this GP should choose to do this now? I read in this mornings Times that her son is due to have his civil partnership ceremony in a few weeks time? So why not wait? This disease was going nowhere fast and in fact there may have been all kinds of treatments, possibly cure etc. in the interim. Also surely a GP would be pretty effective at taking her own life with her medical knowledge wouldn’t she?

It somehow seems uncomfortable to speculate on this womans motives now - we can only respect her decision for the sake of her family, but I do not feel in a general discussion about euthanasia that this can be a rigorous example.

I note people are flagging up their religious beliefs or otherwise in this and the ‘hope’ thread and I can see the relevance in terms of frame of reference. So I am a catholic albeit a col-lapsed one.

Celeste

Why now and not later. Hi Celeste, I wondered if this lady (GP) chose sooner rather than later as she was afraid she might lose her nerve, change her mind, be talked out of her decision?

Honest thread I have found this thread not sad but realistic, I hope I dont upset anyone in saying that. I have no religion so that angle is removed.

Morag is right, it isnt about us but the people we leave behind. We all need to plan for or be honest about what may happen to us, already aware or not of secondaries. I would be happy to discuss this with my husband but he isnt keen. I discussed it with my mum last year as my kids are still young and I felt I needed to voice my concerns. I needed confirmation that they would be cared for, and was given a lovely answer.

I couldnt ask my family to make a decision on my behalf as I know they would question their judgement in years to come and I would hate that for them.

I know people who have living wills but when faced with losing a close relative became unsure, hoping for some improvement. It must be hard to know how we will feel towards the end of our lives, whether we will be pain free and go peacefully. I think I will wait and see. I’ve also sat with someone who wanted to go but it took two weeks and hated it.

I have the utmost respect for the children who took their mum away to die. How honest they must have been with each other.

For now at least, all of us are still here, whatever stage we are at. Losing someone from this site a few weeks ago unexpectedly at the age of 38 who also had a young family and her eye on the future has given me a different view. I am here, I need to explore all the possibilites but make the most of whatever I can, for as long as I can. I almost cant be sad about it as it would be wasting precious time. She wouldnt be mad about me saying that.

So euthanasia? Undecided but not against.

I hope I havent offended anyone.

Steph x

euthanasia I would rather go for quality rather than quantity and support euthanasia for this reason. I don’t want a long and lingering death, culminating in a hospital bed with all the attendant risks of infection etc.

I like the idea of planning your end so it can be dignified and where you want to die. When my cat died at the vets it was very peaceful and took all of ten seconds to go.

Although I was really upset I think I did the right thing for my cat, and when my time comes I hope someone will do the right thing for me.

Mole

Unplugging the machine In December !998, my mother (aged 77 and severely arthritic) was rushed into hospital as her previously diagnosed but inoperable aortic aneurysm had burst. She underwent two very long operations, which she survived, but her kidneys began to fail and she was put on life-support, though we were told she could undergo further surgery for dialysis. She remained heavily sedated throughout.

We asked what quality of life she would have in the unlikely event that she pulled through, and were told she would be bed-ridden for the rest of her life. She would have so hated that. At that point my sisters and I agreed that we did not think any more surgical intervention was appropriate. We were asked to consent to the life support systems being switched off, which we did, and she died peacefully 15 minutes later, surrounded by her children and best friend.

I know that we made the right decision in the circumstances, and I hope if I am ever in the same situation, that my family would be able to make a reasoned decision.

Despite the fears that legalising euthanasia might eventually lead to a ‘cull’ of the elderly and infirm, with proper safeguards in place I feel it is a humane measure to allow people to die if they express a wish to do so to avoid unnecesary suffering.

— I have watched two people ‘waiting to die’, one was my Mum, they both wished they could have been helped to go. I remember my Mum telling me that she wasn’t living, but just existing.

I don’t ever want to just ‘exist’, if I can’t ‘live’ then I would hope someone would help me on my way.

For Gandalf -I understand totally wher you are coming from…my lovely dad died from an aortic anyrism(is that spelt right??) he was an avid supporter of euthonasia and I know if he had survived his condition but became a burden to those around he would have taken his own life…but that was his choice, he would have still left me, my sister, my 2 brothers and my mum just as he did when he had no choice, but maybe they way he went was easier for us cos all the medical people were there around him and told us he had very little chance…what if he had lived…my mum and the others would have to take care of him…I live nearly 400 miles away so I wouldnt have been expected to be there all the time…my brothers are wonderfull and would walk to the ends of the earth for my parents…my sister is a total mess…so that leaves the boys and mum…mum is now 73 and geting more frail by the day…that leaves the boys…one is 51…recently lost his wife to BC…other is 46 happily married and has his own life to live…so where does that leave us now…with an ill parent who swears he wont be a burden,infact in a way I’m glad the decision was taken from him…he died in no pain as far as we know…thats the way I want to go.i WAS TOLD TODAY MY PROGNOSIS ISNT GOOD…NOT THE WORST BUT DEFINITELY NOT THE BEST EITHER…sorry about the caps but thats how I feel at the min…still reeling…still waffling but who else can I do this to…family have their own worries about it…hubby is in denial keeps saying they might be wrong…maybe they are I dont know but I will live as long as long as I can…even with the problems!!and if all else fails…I know how to do it now…watch this space

WARNING - BEING FLIPPANT WARNING - BEING FLIPPANT

I know this is an open debate but I simply can’t cope with it.

All I keep thinking about is the story of three elderly women sitting on a bench who ask each other how they want to die. The first old lady says that she would like to die peacefully at home surrounded by her family and friends. The second old lady says that she would like a piano to drop on her from a high buiding so that she’d die instantly and know nothing about it. The third old lady says that she would like to die after being shot in bed. The first two old ladies gasp in horror and ask her why. The third old lady continues…by my young lover’s jealous wife.

Forgive me but sometimes black humour helps. My sympathies to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

Sue

— Sue and Morag — Hi Sue, I agree. Humour does help and I enjoyed that one and will be sending it to my friends on e mail… Joy xxxxx

Morag, I’m really worried by your posting. You sound so low. I wish I were with you having a cup of tea and I could talk to you. My prognosis is bad too but that does not mean that I am going to die of cancer. I am going to fight to the end and hope that I win.

I am soooo worried about your wording. I am more worried because I can’t post after this one because I am going in hospital for another operation so can’t be there for you. PLEASE I ask, will you be there for me when I come out… I hope you will phone the breast nurse on this site if you need someone to talk to… Big big hugs,

Love Joy xxxx