Exercise after treatment has finished.

I finished FEC-T last August. I finished radiotherapy last October and Im due to finishe Herceptin this Friday (29th June). Im on Tamoxifen for another 4 years. What I want to know is, is it safe to go back to the gym and do the “hard core” classes? I used to go to the gym and do a spinning class twice a week. My heart used to be pumping out of my chest during and afterwards!!! However Im now concerned as Ive obviously had Epirubicin and Herceptin, both of which are toxic to the heart and can damage it. Im scared to over exert my heart incase it packs up!!! Does anyone know if its safe to do so? I really miss spinning and I also need to shift some of this weight!!!
Thank you
Mandyxx

hi mango, i think if you take it one step at a time you will be ok at gym, i went on the moving forward course, and ladies where asking about gym, they said start of easy, and ask gym instructor for program if that helps.xxx

Thanks for that tra. x

I started back at the gym in July last year after I had finished rads, whilst I was still having Herceptin. To say I found it hard was an under statement. I had always done hard core exercise too but found I just couldn’t do it. My gym instructor was great, I told him all about my illness and he devised a good beginner programme and I worked from there.
I finished Herceptin in February this year and it is only now that I am back to the hard core stuff again.
I also started doing the body balance and yoga classes which I had never done before, but found that after chemo (4 x AC, 4 x Paclitaxol on a dose dense regime) my joints were really stiff and I had lost some balance due to numb toes. I have found these classes really useful.
I presume you will be having a final echo after your Herceptin and I would have thought that providing this is fine you will have no problem. You will probably just feel old and unfit to start with, like you are starting again.
Sam

My oncologist told me to exercise EVERY DAY for 45mins x

Thanks girls.
I think Ill go back to the gym next week and restart my membership. As you say Samlee, I can do the body balance classed and work my way up. Ultimate goal…spinning!!! x