Exeter

Exeter

Exeter Hi
anyone had a recon done in Exeter? Had left mastectomy on 8th March. I’m waiting for my 1st appt with plastic surgeon he does a clinic at the Torbay - still early on in chemo etc but looking forward to having a plan for recon.
Wondered if anyone can share any experiences with the Exeter plastics team?
also, i am wanting to ask for a preventative mastectomy on my right breast with immediate recon - anyone else been through this one in Devon (or anywhere else) and were they happy to do it?

lots of questions - I know this is the place to contact the experts…
thanks ladies you’re all lovely
mandyx

hi mandy,
i have had a few consulations in exeter, another one tomorrow. but i have the brac1 gene and am in the process of have preventative mastectomy with immediate recon, i would be intrested in knowing which surgeon/plastic surgeon you are dealing with. what type of recon did you chose?

hope all is going well, nice to find someone local here x

Exeter Hi Michaela

good to hear from you, always nice to think someone is nearby. I’m in Newton Abbot so most of my treatment is at the Torbay, recons are Exeter based though. I’m seeing Mr Saxby or Mr Oliver, not sure which tomorrow at the Torbay outreach clinic for my 1st discussion. I was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma and extensive DCIS in Feb, WLE followed by mastectomy in March, currently having chemo. So my recon wont be til a bit of a way down the line, but I am impatient and was to talk to them about what and how. Having had one breast affected by cancer I’d like a preventative mastectomy & immediate recon on the other side too - drastic without the gene testing but you I’m sure can understand that a worry like that is one we can better live without. Sorry to hear about your genetic result and having to go through this, but can fully understand your reasons, it has to be better than running the risk, believe me chemo is something best avoided.
Who have you seen in Exeter? And what recon are you going for?
I think I will see what the opinion is on which to have, not large at an A cup but not much spare bits to use unless they can lipo my bottom!
Mr Donnelly was the breast surgeon who did my mastectomy at the Torbay - I think he does some joint ops with the plastics team at Exeter and he is truly someone who I feel lucky to have been under the care of.

Keep in touch, I’d love to hear how you get on - I’ll let you know my news too
Mandyxx

Hi Michaela Hi there
just wanted to say hi again and ask you how you got on with your apptt at Exeter yesterday? Hope it went well for you.
I saw Mr Oliver at the Torbay and he has said he’ll do my recon in October if all is well in the meantime. I’m chuffed to bits, seeing the breast surgeon next week to make sure he’s happy with that and to request right side to be done at the same time.
I’ve pretty much opted for the expander implants then silicone implants - saves more scarring and is an easier op in terms of length of stay and recovery. He did say if i wasnt happy with how the implants turn out I could go back for a lat dorsi later. It’s good to know that it’s not just one chance and that’s it.

be nice to hear form you again
take care and hope you’re doing ok
Mandyxx

HI, ALL WENT WELL WITH MY CONSULATIONIN ON TUESDAY THANX FOR ASKING. I KNOW WHAT YOUR GOING THROUGH I LOST MY LITTLE SISTER TO CANCER SHE WAS 35, I HELPED HER THROUGH HER CHEMO AND OPS, IT WAS NOT NICE, AND LOST A FRIEND 2 WEEKS AGO TO THE BIG C, THATS WHY I FEEL I HAVE TO HAVE THESE OPS, I FEEL THE LUCKY TO BE GIVEN THE CHANCE.

I HAVE BEEN SEEING MS DUNN IN EXETER AND HAVE NOW GOT TO SEE THE PLASTIC SURGEN, AS THEY WORK TOGETHER. WAS HOPING TO HAVE TISSUE EXPANDERS FITTED. AND LIKE YOU MAYBE LIPO FROM MY JELLY BELLY :wink:

I’M OFF ON HOILDAY TOMORROW, SO WONT BE ABLE TO REPLY. BUT AS SOON AS I GET ANY MORE INFO AND DATES I WILL GET YOU KNOW, TAKE CARE.