Fab Feb Rads anyone?

Thanks.  I keep thinking that it should get better soon. That’s very reassuring snout the planning, ta. I am pretty numb on the op site from my boob round to my spine, so at least one should be painless. I think I’m having 2, but might be different when i get there. Some places have radiotherapy free parking, but not so at our place. x

Wow, can’t believe you have to pay for parking while on active treatment :frowning:  Our health trust doesn’t seem to give much free compared with the comments others have made, but free parking for rads is a good call.  Some reserved parking spaces would be a good idea too as that’s often the hardest part of the journey!

Hi everyone out there, came across this thread and at last felt as if I was not alone, Surgery on 1/12/15, rads appoint on 29/01 to plan course of 15. Feeling low, don’t know why, still working or trying to., which takes me away from home for 4 nights a week…

Hi arawak and welcome to our group of reluctant radiators ?.  Working away from home 4 days a week is tough at the best of times, so I really feel for you trying to deal with bc too.  I had an mx and removal of pec muscle  on 26/11, so we are at a similar point in our recovery.  I have good days (usually when there isn’t an appointment looming or just gone) and bad days when I am weepy.    I can’t work because of the nature of my role, and having too much time to fill can be a problem. Today was a good day, so I have spare hugs for you ?

Will you have to take time off work for rads, presumably your treating hospital is nowhere near your work location if you need to live away from home?  

Tat xx

Hi Arawak Impressed you are working! Like Tat says, we’re all a bit up & down, but there’s no shame in that (a normal reaction I would say). Feel free to seek our help or have a bit of a moan if you need to.  Tat glad you’re having a good day. We need to enjoy the calm before the storm.  You have a good way with words … I am definitely a reluctant radiator?. I can lift my legs today without feeling as if they have a knife in them for the first time since October . Small, but very welcome, advances back towards normal. xx

That’s great news about your legs, Bibi.  It must feel sooo good to know that as you start to feel better this time you won’t be going back to chemo for another kicking :slight_smile:  Rads will knock you back a bit, but with an end in sight, finally. That day can’t come back soon enough, eh? Tat xx

Welcome aboard, bravescholar :).  Hoping you are in the 70% whose recon doesn’t harden, sounds so much better when you say it that way round ?

Bibi, hoping you have noticed even more improvements today.  And Val, hope the taste in your mouth is improving.  

Tat xx

Hi Everyone,

I am a Feb reluctant rads starter and had advised to strongly consider having the  breast bed, where my tumour laid, zapped with powerful beams. I had CT planning today, start 2 Feb for 15 sessions. Had clear margins all around, DCIS, low to inter; tumour 48mm/55gms weight - “to be on safe side rads.” - surgeon says/BCN agrees. After WLE, I was hoping I wouldn’t need rads but there you are…it’s a reality of a cancerous disease highlighted from a routine mammo. TBH, I shouldn’t complain as like some of you brave ladies on here, I haven’t had to go through chemo first and I hope not after wards later on in the now new world that I call ‘cancer world’. Good luck everyone :slight_smile:

Hi Brave & Angelcake Good luck for the rads planning.  Val well done on finishing chemo. x

A warm welcome angelcake. We can support each other even if none of us actually wants to be here! We also start rads on the same day, although I’ll be carrying on through to 17th March :frowning:

Val, I’m sorry to hear your neuropathy has forced the end of chemo for you and you are worrying about what hat could mean. Its just a cr@ppy place to be, having cancer, but when your treatment doesn’t go to plan it’s such an extra burden. I haven’t called the helpline here as my cancer is a sarcoma, not bc, but lots of people really rate the nurses. Why not give them a call and see if they can give you some more info/stats so you can organise your thoughts and hopefully worry less?

How are you today, Bibi?

I’m curious to know where people will be having rads if you are willing to share that info; I’m at the QE in Birmingham…

Hugs to all, tat xx

Hi Tat I’m getting there slowly ta, although just couldn’t be bothered to get out of bed today. Maybe the weather putting me off, or perhaps I am just a very lazy person these days. I’m at the Marsden Surrey. I used to work at the QE many years ago. xx

Hi all. I have been so tired all this week. I was back driving on Tuesady for first time since op and think i did too much. I also had a seroma drained the day before…It’s not painful but i find the procedure quite stressful. Also, I burst into tears this morning when i started doing my physio and realised the cording under my arm has got even worse.All that said, I’ve just had a lovely coffee with a friend and I’m off to see Carole at the cinema with some friends. Ups and downs.xx

Oh Brave, how frustrating that the cording is back. Have a lovely afternoon & get yourself back to that physio who helped last time. xx

Sounds like you needed a treat, Brave, I really hope the film and the company hit the spot :slight_smile:  I’ve become a tad reclusive, except for family and friends coming here.  Must make the effort to get out more…

I think a duvet day is a brilliant idea given what you’ve been through, Bibi.  I have struggled with mornings since my dx and stopping work, but had a good reason to leap out of bed today as we visited our son at uni and treated him to lunch :slight_smile:  Both my children were born in Surrey and we visit old friends there regularly.  

Getting a more nervous by the day about rads, probably because I read lots of older threads on here about side effects…really must stop doing that!  They did give me some ideas and I’ve ordered a towel that cools whilst wet but doesn’t wet the skin and will be getting cabbages because the leaves are supposed to be good for burns as well as engorged, uncomfortable breasts after childbirth.  I’ll let you know if either or both of them work :slight_smile:

Tat xx

What’s the towel called Tats, sounds as if it could be of use for night flushes due to tamoxifen too? Have a lovely weekend all. x

Someone was recommending a gel filled neck tie/scarf type thing, but the reviews were very mixed.  I’ll PM you in case the forum doesn’t allow specific items/websites to be published xx

Hey Everyone,

Glad to be here - Rads at Marsden Surrey pm

Can anyone recommend the best or most effective creams to use on breast while having rads?

I’ll be increasing the water intake and a gentle walk 3 times per week with light exercises in between. Obviously, I have no idea how I am going to react to rads and I have a full time job - pm appointments seem to make sense in relation to getting extra rest and sleep. It’s all new.

Hi Angelcake if you see a nervous newbie in the waiting room on 15/2 that will be me. A lot of people seem to say e45 or acqueous cream.  I’ve got something called Ralife cream. This is not scientific, but the same company produced this nail cream that was wonderful during chemo, so I’m assuming their rads product will be good too. You can lose your nails on chemo, but mine are still how hey were pre chemo thanks to that cream. xx

AC I’ve got 4-30pm every day. I chose a late one so I could get into that car park, having seen the queues round the block from the chemo ward window, but I was wondering if there I’ll be more delays later in the day.  Let me know how you get on after your first week. I feel amazing this weekend, it’s like the chemo has finally left the building & I’m back to feeling normal for the first time in 5 months. Soooo happy! xx

Fantastic news, Bibi!  Enjoy every moment of feeling normal :slight_smile: xx