Fatty Liver Disease and Tamoxifen

Hi, I’ve recently been advised of fatty liver disease and it being a side effect of Tamoxifen - I have had high levels of liver enzymes in blood tests and I am worried that the cancer has spread to my liver … please can you advise if I should push for a CT scan to check, rather than accepting that it’s ‘just a side effect’ of the Tamoxifen, thanks

2 Likes

I am on Anastrozole. Have been on it for 1 year and 4 months now and I am the same my liver enzymes are up and been told I have fatty liver. I can’t seem to find out if it is a side effect of Anastrozole. My enzymes were normal before starting this course and I am also a the same as you as in worried about the cancer spreading to my liver

1 Like

Hi Jaynie, thank you for responding and sorry to hear you’re the same … I have the gp on wed to discuss results so will see what comes from it … further tests would definitely put my mind at ease … I haven’t really had a check up since finishing ‘active treatment’ just a mammogram of the remaining boob :woman_shrugging:t3:

Yes I am the same. I have had 1 mammogram on other side and am due my second next month. I am having liver function blood test on Wednesday again to see what my levels are. Let me know how you get on regarding your results

Hello Amber87,

Thanks for posting. It’s understandable to be concerned about having altered liver enzymes and have been told about fatty liver disease. You’ll see from this information that changes in liver enzyme and a fatty liver are common side effects of tamoxifen (section 4.8 under hepatobiliary disorders)

@Jaynie23, altered liver enzymes is also a side effect of anastrozole.

This is also mentioned in brief in our tamoxifen and anastrozole information.

Given it is a side effect it’s unlikely your treatment team would suggest a CT scan. After treatment for breast cancer, it’s natural to think that having routine body scans, for example a CT scan (computerised tomography), a PET scan ( positron emission tomography) or a PET-CT scan, will be a helpful way to check for any early signs of the cancer returning (recurrence) and that this will be part of follow up care.

Current international guidelines indicate that body scans are only recommended after breast cancer treatment if you have symptoms that might suggest a recurrence. This is because evidence tells us that follow up scans are not the best way of picking up any early signs of recurrence.

It sounds as though you are both seeing your GP on Wednesday so do chat this through. It might also help to talk to your treatment teams.

You may be interested in the range of services we offer, in particular Moving Forward

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am - 1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Jane

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.