Feeling scared and anxious after vacuum assisted biopsy

Hi, 

I’m not sure I’m in the right Forum but wanted to reach out as I had a vacuum assisted biopsy yesterday at the Marsden and feel so scared and anxious that my cancer has come back. 

After my annual MRI I was called back to my local hospital for an ultrasound because of a ‘new area’ they’d seen on my MRI.  It was too small to see and biopsy via ultrasound so they referred me to the Marsden for an MRI guided biopsy (not many hospitals have the equipment to do this). 

I ended up waiting nearly 3 weeks for this appt so have already been going stir crazy with anxiety and stress. 

I finally had the procedure yesterday. They said sometimes when they go to scan again the area can have disappeared. Was desperately hoping this would be the case. After the first scan they returned to the room and said they could see the area and would biopsy it (laid face down trying my hardest to hold it together and to not to sob at that point).  After much poking, prodding, uncomfortableness and needing to reposition the needle 3 times (scanning each time in between) they took the biopsy (needed more anaesthetic as could feel it near my nipple).  I have to say they were all so incredibly lovely there, it helped to make a shitty experience a bit more bearable.

Although there’s a chance it will be benign, having been diagnosed with stage 2 HER2+ bc in the other breast I’ve convinced myself it’s come back.  The waiting and not knowing again is torture and having been through it all before I’m not sure I’ve got the same mental strength as last time. 

Doesn’t help that my boob is really sore and is just triggering and bringing back memories of having had surgery. 

I’m hoping they’re just being uber cautious (which Im truly grateful for) and I’ll have wasted all this time and energy stressing for nothing, but also thinking why would they put someone through that procedure if they didn’t suspect it was cancer.  Like other ladies on here keep replaying all the conversations I’ve had analysing the tone of their voice etc! 

I know no-one can tell me what the result will be, but wondering if anyone else has had anything similar and what the outcome was?

Allie xx 

Hi Allie

I’m sorry to read that you’re feeling scared and anxious whilst waiting for your results. If you would like to chat to someone about this, our Breast Care Nurses are here to offer you a friendly listening ear on our free confidential Helpline 0808 800 6000.

Alternatively, you can get in touch with our Nurses in the Ask Our Nurses area of the Forum and they can respond to you online.

Sending you my best wishes x