feeling very insecure after recent mastectomy

hi, i was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer in October, I have recently had a mastectomy and ancillary clearance after finishing 8 sessions of chemo (fec-t) and I am struggling to come to terms with how i look. I have been offered reconstruction in a year but can’t think that far ahead at the moment, I just feel so unattractive and am worried that these feelings won’t go away. can anybody please give me some thoughts on how to start accepting how I look and to feel more positive. many thanks

Dear curly05

I’m sure other members will soon be along with some replies to your post.  In the meantime I’ve attached links to a couple of our publications which you might find helpful:

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/confident-choice-breast-prostheses-bras-clothes-after-surgery-bcc123

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/about-breast-cancer-care/moving-forward-resource-pack-patients-living-beyond-breast-cancer-bcc197

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Hi Curly05

I can relate to how you feel ,I had the same op’s as you 4th April 2013 my mind was made up from the off that I’d have recon when I look at myself naked I just say ‘it won’t be forever its just for now’ I have never taken my eye off my goal. My-my how fast as year has passed at the end of this month I got an appiontment to discuss reconstruction I can’t wait I’ve only got small breasts my BCN said I can ask to make both bigger yippee and I can have which ever surgeon I want, and to see another surgeon for a second opinion as they may offer different surgery.I just picked out all the advantages of the recon and keep that to the front of my mind .So I know how you feel I just felt ugly but I snapped out of it we both been through to much dont give it the satisfaction of getting you down,before you no where you are you will be a year ahead, now Easter is here the rest of the year will fly by stay strong. Yvonne x

Thank you for your responses, I have just had my drain taken out and had a quick look at my chest and then asked if they would put another dressing over it :frowning: I find it hard to look at it and cant bear the thought of my husband seeing it as am worried he may think its horrible just like I do. I have to go to hospital on friday for results so am worried sick about that too and although they have said I can have a reconstruction in a years time they have also said that there i more chance of the cancer coming back in the same boob rather than the other and to be honest am thinking that if I had a reconstruction would I be strong enough to go through all this again should the cancer return. never have felt so many emotions in my life :frowning: